What does "retirememt" mean for the MCTS exams? Please see... RRS feed

• Question

• I was going through the following page and reading the details :

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcts.aspx#tab2

A MCTS certification along with many others on this page, it is mentioned that they will "retire" on July 31,2013. What does this mean and what implications does it have for me, a university student who wants to get certified? Should I drop the idea of taking this exam because it is retiring? If it is retiring then is there any other new equivalent certification on ASP.NET and .NET which I might go for now? I am really confused. Please help me.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 11:35 AM

Answers

• It means it won't be available for you to take after that date.  Microsoft updates their certifications as new versions of their software are updated.  You should check out the updated page for the MCSD and Visual Studio certifications and go from there.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 12:36 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• It means it won't be available for you to take after that date.  Microsoft updates their certifications as new versions of their software are updated.  You should check out the updated page for the MCSD and Visual Studio certifications and go from there.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 12:36 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

there are two things you could do:

1. Wait for the new exams.
    2. Do the current exams and earn the MCPD title after passing the four exams. When the new exams become available you just upgrade to them through an upgrade exam.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 2:58 PM
    Answerer
  • Thank you for your quick replies. So, does it mean that if I do give the exam before the date of retirement and get certified, then after the date of retirement, that certificate will no longer be of any importance of credibility in the industry? Will it no longer prove my proficiency after the retirement date until and unless I give the updated exam? In other words, if I give the exam this year and get certified, will it be a waste?
    Wednesday, July 18, 2012 3:34 PM
  • No, that only means that you can't take these exams after it is retired. It will still have credibility.

Your question is more a question of time and your own preference. If you can't wait some months (or so) for the new exams and you think you can pass the four exams within one year it will be ok. Otherwise just wait for the new ones.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:08 PM
    Answerer