Bulk Import of contacts RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi All,

I couldnt able to do bulk import contacts in MSCRM3.0 i couldnt able to find how to map companyID for that contact from the target fields available it shows its schema name as Stick out tonguearent customerid (which in turn relates to accountid and parentaccountid in contactbase).how to solve this issue.

can anyone suggest me a way of how i can map company lookup of contact in bulk import wizard for contacts and also for the owning user....

Thanks

Lokesh

Monday, August 11, 2008 9:06 AM

Answers

• From memory the target field is 'customer' or 'parent customer' something like this. While most of us only ever associate a contact to an account, you can associate it to an account OR contact and MSCRM calls this a customer.

Scribe is a great tool and very powerful but it costs money.

Leon Tribe
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 4:09 AM

All replies

• I have never managed to get this working in CRM4.0 either through using the Data Migration Manager or using the Bulk Import Wizard in the interface.  I now use a product called Scribe.  If you require any assistance with this import or need more information on scribe, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Monday, August 11, 2008 9:22 AM
  • For version 3, you need to import the parent customerid GUID with the contact records. The simplest way to get the GUIDs is either through the fitlered views or to simply dynamically export out to Excel, right-click on A2 and select edit query. Close down all the resulting pop-up windows and then the GUIDs will appear. Match up the GUIDs to the right contact records using vlookup on the account name or similar. If you do this it will work.

For version 4, the problem is with the data mapping. If you set up the data map manually, the data import wizard will NEVER match on tables outside of the primary entity. You have to get automapping to kick in. Basically you use the labels on the form, unless you've modified the default values in which case look at your manual data map and if the CRM name does not match the name in the csv, change it. If you have automapping working, the import will match off just the account name. It just works.

Leon Tribe
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 12:11 AM
  • Hi leon,

i had already mapped guid's in my excel file but how to map those guid's with what target field in the bulk import of contacts.

Thanks

Lokesh

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 4:02 AM
  • Hi Dave,

Is scribe a free tool or a licensed one. if it is licensed how much is the cost for license??

Also,can u suggest me an alternate way to do this task using say,CRM SDK stuff.

Thanks

Lokesh

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 4:05 AM
  • From memory the target field is 'customer' or 'parent customer' something like this. While most of us only ever associate a contact to an account, you can associate it to an account OR contact and MSCRM calls this a customer.

Scribe is a great tool and very powerful but it costs money.

Leon Tribe
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 4:09 AM
  • Hi Leon

Can u guide me the steps to buy scribe and how to use it.
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 6:09 AM
  • We are an authorised scribe reseller, contact me directly at .....dave@caltech.co.uk..... We can help you with the purchase of scribe and also carrying out the actual data import.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 12:18 PM