How to Fix LiveOneCare V. 2.0 Problems RRS feed

• General discussion

• 1.  Find your purchase receipt, box it up, call Microsoft Customer Service and tell them you want a full refund.  Mail it in to them and then wait the requisite six months for your refund.

2.  Go to the OneCare web site and download and run OneCareCleanUp.exe to get Live OneCare off your computer.

Then google up AVG and dowload either the $29.95 edition or the free edition and install it on your computer..... and your troubles are over.

My friends and customers purchased OneCare version 1.6 at a local merchant and it ran fine on both their computers until Microsoft Update upgraded it to version 2.0.  Then the problems began and we were driven to total frustration.  I've read the hundred or so suggestions by the guru's here, and none of them worked.  Further, we worked with 7 of those skilled service technicians in India via email and telephone for over six days trying to diagnose and fix the problems, all to no avail.  They may have closed the case when we refused to work any longer, but the case (SRX-1052698016) was never resolved.  My customers, probably no longer my friends, are requesting a refund of their purchase price. 

For those interested, I am still running version 1.6 of Live OneCare on my machine.  I refuse to let it upgrade to version 2.0.  If it ever does upgrade, I will trash it and request a refund also.  And incidentally, even if you have the Version 1.6 disk, you cannot reinstall it as 1.6 because it goes to the web and updates to version 2.0 automatically.  I suppose you could unplug your modem and force it to install as 1.6, but it would eventually upgrade itself to 2.0..... and then you got problems. 

It's a shame that after making his billions off mostly U.S. customers Bill Gates has moved all his tech support to India.  I have absolutely nothing against India or it's people, but when I am frustrated with a MS product problem, I want to talk to a U.S. Microsoft technician or Customer Care individual.   

gbalch

Saturday, December 29, 2007 3:56 PM

All replies

• Um.....yep.

I dont blame the people like Stephen Boots here on the forum that attempt to help those of us with WLOC problems. I blame the geniuses who decided to "improve" WLOC 1.6.

If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it. For the past week or so my icon has been yellow. I go to the link to install the updates, and nothing happens. Today my icon is showing red. I'm tired of uninstalling/reinstalling WLOC. I'll just stay in red status for now.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 6:20 PM
  •  ColonialMarine wrote:

If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it. For the past week or so my icon has been yellow. I go to the link to install the updates, and nothing happens. Today my icon is showing red. I'm tired of uninstalling/reinstalling WLOC. I'll just stay in red status for now.

When you open OneCare, what action does it state you need to take?

-steve

Monday, December 31, 2007 3:30 AM
  • Here's a screen shot. I click Update. It cheks, but then nada happens.

Monday, December 31, 2007 10:15 PM
  • You'll want to see this post then:

Information to help troubleshoot and resolve update problems - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1286736&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 2:51 AM
  • I have similar issues.  I tried to install 2.0 on a 2nd computer and when you open the application it does not respond.  I spent days installing, reinstalling, cleaning etc etc etc to no avail.  Then this morning Onecare updated itself from 1.6 to 2.0 on my primary computer.  The issue is CLEARLY with 2.0.  Microsoft MUST look at any new functionality and make it optional or fix it.

The issue may lie in one of 2 places.  One is in the networking and wireless area. Now many people have routers and many smarter users use security.  OneCare MUST not assume that the user does not have WEP, PKI etc enabled.  If this is what it turns out to be it is really a rookie mistake for Microsoft.  Microsoft has likely screwed this up for many advanced users.  Also some wireless cards do not use MS zero service,

The second is that all this "it may fix itself" is hog wash.  The software cannot try to be so intelligent that it is too smart for itself.

If ANYONE at Microsoft can respond to a more advanced response on this board it would be brilliant.  Is there a fix?  Is this a bug?  What is a real solution?  Can Microsoft release a restore version?  An older version - some workaround we can count on until it is fixed?

Getting right to the point instead of trying everything, calling India etc is a monumental waste of time.  PLEASE READ AND LISTEN - we need Microsoft to do better.  I am an avid user and want to continue using this product.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 3:28 PM
  • See the announcement posts at the top of this folder (Updates) for the common issues that are affecting people with v2 upgrades.

I don't know where you're getting the "it may fix itself" from, as the only thing that would apply to would be certain startup problems that will be addressed with updates to the code - minor releases. I can also apply to some of the resource issues that people encounter with winss and msmpeng, but certainly not a problem with OneCare failing to rn.

Calling support, while sometimes painful, is the appropriate way to get support. The technicians can verify the basics and look for conflicts and other common problems. Unfortunately, they may be hesitant to escalate the issue as they want to fix your problem. The problems are reported to the OneCare team both via support and via data communicated from the client PC in the form of crash logs and also via normal communication between OneCare and the server, assuming that that portion of OneCare is running.

If you've read through the forum, you'll see that the v2 beta was ongoing since the middle of last year. v2 was released to production in November and upgrades began to be deployed at that time. Because of a higher than anticipated number of problems that had not been seen in the public and private beta, the upgrades were stopped and the data evaluated and the program fixed. There will continue to be fixes deployed. If we have a known problem with a known solution, you'll find it here. When you are one of the unlucky ones to encounter a problem that does not have a known cause or solution, you can poke at it yourself, ask here if anyone has had the same problem and how did they resolve it, or contact support.

You won't be able to go to an older version and I am sure that Microsoft would not roll back to an older version. While you are having problems, and you and I read about lots of problems here, and support gets lots of calls and emails about problems, the reality is that the vast majority of users are not having any problems with the upgrade to the new version. And, they are not having problems with running the new version, either.

I agree on your last point. There *were* too many problems with the v2 upgrade and too many remain now. I believe that the test bed needs to be evaluated and expanded since the nearly infinite configurations that OneCare will be running on means that exposure to more configurations is crucial. Each release needs to be much better.

-steve

Friday, January 11, 2008 2:15 PM
  • I'm sorry to say, that I may be uninstalling it soon. The update will come too late for me, as I've had troubles, including bumped off the net, by this program and my ISP, on two cable modems, including a Motorola Surfboard 5100 and with an AMBIT cable modem I purchased from the cable company. I'm in the process of going back to DSL.

Another thing I noticed and there is absolutely no reason for it, is that TuneUp takes over 2 friggin hours to complete, and there is no excuse for this to happen. There is also no reason for this program to not get along with the NFORCE networking controller on my ASUS P5N32-E SLI motherboard, and I happen to be using the latest drivers for it.

Quite frankly this program should have remained in beta starting in November 2007, for another 6 months.

Monday, January 14, 2008 12:26 AM
  • I know you posted about the modem problems in the thread regarding the OneCare probes causing the modem to reboot. If that is happening to you, contact support to report it in detail.

A 2 hour Tune-up is near normal, so I'm not sure what the issue is other than it is slower than some other products.

As for the driver for the NIC, it includes a firewall, hence the conflict with OneCare. It's a driver problem, though I suppose OneCare may also be able to address it.

-steve

Monday, January 14, 2008 2:27 AM
  • No offense against you Stephen, why should I even bother reporting anything, when it will probably fall on deaf ears like the 2 months of trouble I've had with my cable ISP. Turns out that a good portion of my troubles with losing my connection are related to the ISP, which doesn't care, even when told that I had router logs, that have long since been deleted that could prove it was them bumping me off the net. As a result of the ISP, I wasted money on a new cable modem, and ended up throwing away the Motorola which turns out there was nothing wrong with it. If I wouldn't have realized that most of the trouble is with my cable ISP, I would have ended up wasting money on a PCI Gigabit lan card, that I also didn't need.

Earlier today, I got one of the dread WinSS errors. Checked my Windows Vista logs and it's there.

For your information, I never bothered installing the Nvidia Network Access Manager, I've read numerous times on the net, where that sucker does nothing but cause a lot of trouble. I'm running the August 2007 driver for the NIC.

I'll be honest, if Microsoft truly cared about it's customers, they would have had all these various issues fixed before shoving Live OneCare 2.0 out the door.

On the flip side, other than the issues, I like Live OneCare it doesn't use a boatload of memory on my system, and the firewall is handy at controlling apps that go out to the internet, and is decent in the antivirus and spyware department, it saved my hide numerous times last year from being infected with some viruses and trojan horses.

I guess I'll wait and see if most of the issues are fixed, one of Microsoft's competitors, Trend Micro, in their internet security software 2 years ago, introduced a bug, that caused sound stutter when gaming and listening to music. I had been using their software at that time, and reported the bug to them, nothing got done about it, and to my knowledge that bug still exists in Trend Micro's software. I hope you can see now why I'm leery of reporting a problem to anybody, as most of the time it falls on deaf ears.

Monday, January 14, 2008 5:33 AM
  •  

Thanks for the response.  I have been a longtime Microsoft user and fan and do not mean to post unconstructively.  I just want Microsoft to do better.  I now have 2.0 running on my PC.  Here is the deal for my situation and this might help other more experienced users.  Support tried to help but after 2 hours I worked this out myself. 

I did purchase the software (non beta), had a product ID and a account.  So this should be clear for all.  Remember in my situation 1.6 was working and the auto 2.0 update did not and thus the application “broke” without the user doing or changing anything.  Let’s get that clear. NO configuration was changed. I try to be precise in order to help communicate.

Next - WLOC needs 3 services to be running from what I can tell.

OneCare AntiSpyware and AntiVirus, OneCare Firewall and Windows Live OneCare.

So here is what happened - there was new functionality created in 2.0 that needs (in my case) the “Terminal Services” service to be turned on.  There is no mention of this on any BLOG or website I can find.  Now some more advanced users may have disabled this service for extra security since it is allows a remote user under certain circumstances to access your local computer.  Who ever developed the User Interface should have noted that they used this service so that you can add PC’s and Printers from other computers – a nice touch in actuality.

Lastly the OSE (Office Source Engine) Service if you have it conflicts with WLOC.  You may have this service running if you have certain versions of Office installed or previously installed.

In my opinion there are rookie mistakes and did not need to be completely regression tested in order to know and communicate.  Anyhow I am on board with 2.0 now.

Monday, January 14, 2008 5:44 PM
  • Thanks for the response. I can understand the reluctance to report an issue, but the OneCare team really does listen. It may not always seem like they do, but they do.

My post from last week was apparently quoted in a blog this weekend, where I acknowledged that there were quite a few problems with the upgrade. I wish these had been identified and fixed during the beta, but many of them did not surface until 2.0 was released and I know that the developers scrambled to rework things to correct the majority of the issues. That blog post also mentioned that Microsoft confirmed an update to 2.0 that should correct even more of the lingering issues for the end of January. I'm not aware of any specific dates, but I know that there will be an update.

I'm sure that not all issues will be resolved with that update, but the more times problems are reported, the more likely they are to be noticed.

-steve

Monday, January 14, 2008 5:53 PM
  • Here's something that is strange. Had a disconnect Saturday morning, power cycled both my router and cable modem, and moved them from a shelf on my computer desk, which is covered with black laminate to a small table along the left side of my computer desk, where a lamp sits. So far everything with internet connectivity is doing fine. I'm going to be monitoring things for close to two weeks, and if I have no futher problems there, I'll give the phone company a call and cancel the DSL installation, telling them something came up. I'm guessing when my Belkin Wireless G router and cable modem were on that black laminated shelf, they built up enough heat and dropped the connection. Why I didn't think of this before, is beyond me at the moment.

What caused that WinSS error for me, I haven't been able to figure that one out as of yet.

I stopped using Outlook for the most part after finding out Outlook 2000 for some reason won't run on Windows Vista 64.

I'm looking at my system, and at Live OneCare, and looking for ways to keep both the OS and Live OneCare 2.0 running pretty smooth.

That CNET News article mentioned January 31ST as when that update would come out. Whether that is true or not, we will all have to wait and see.

Monday, January 14, 2008 9:56 PM
  •  

My computer received v 2.0 last night.  When I restarted this morning it told me that it had conflicting programs and wants me to remove Norton Live Update, but I need that for my pcAnywhere.  What do I do?
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 1:03 PM
  • The OneCare team was excellent in supporting this app.  They stuck with me and the problem and called back rescheduled when asked to.  I would highly recommend this to anyone that has issues with running this software. Also Stephen I want you and Microsoft to know that I really appreciated the openness on this and other forums.  I understand that some with an axe to grind or another agenda may take this information and use it unconstructively. 

Now that I have this software running well I see that it has an excellent vision and is already superior to much of the competition.  Perhaps this is why the some may be bashing this software at this time.  I like the way this application lets to get to many advanced setting if you care to go there.  Also the fact that it does not seem to take over your entire PC and does not put a large footprint on it is stellar.

I would focus on registry and memory optimization next and perhaps a more detailed cookie cleanup for future enhancements.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 2:33 PM
  •  Leonard Braverman wrote:

My computer received v 2.0 last night.  When I restarted this morning it told me that it had conflicting programs and wants me to remove Norton Live Update, but I need that for my pcAnywhere.  What do I do?

Leonard, until the program is revised so that it doesn't see the files/registry entries for LiveUpdate as an indication of a the existence of one of the Norton/Symantec security products, you'll either need to live with the warnings or remove LiveUpdate. Since PCAnywhere is not likely to be updated so frequently as to require regular update checks, you can always check the Symantec site for updates. I'm sure that others will report the status of this here as many have been hit by this change in 2.0. Once OneCare is updated again, you can reinstall LiveUpdate as you wish. An added benefit in removing LiveUpdate is one less service consuming resources.

-steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 5:06 PM
  • Will Live OneCare continue to receive its virus definitions automatically even though it thinks that there is a conflict?

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 5:17 PM
  • Yes, it will, but you'll keep getting nagged about the supposed conflict.

-steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 5:58 PM
  • I'm quite envious of those of you who can actually reach the status screen. OneCare on my desktop just updated, and now I can't seem to open it. The icon displays in the clock area, and clicking it opens OneCare, but it soon locks up and I have to end it via Task Manager.

However, OneCare appears to be working, as Windows tells me that I do have firewall and antivirus running. The malware protection side of OneCare seems to have failed for some reason though. I just can't access the main screen of OneCare itself.

This is completely different from my laptop, which updated to the new version without any hiccups at all.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 1:56 AM
  •  FinalAtlys wrote:

I'm quite envious of those of you who can actually reach the status screen. OneCare on my desktop just updated, and now I can't seem to open it. The icon displays in the clock area, and clicking it opens OneCare, but it soon locks up and I have to end it via Task Manager.

However, OneCare appears to be working, as Windows tells me that I do have firewall and antivirus running. The malware protection side of OneCare seems to have failed for some reason though. I just can't access the main screen of OneCare itself.

This is completely different from my laptop, which updated to the new version without any hiccups at all.

Please contact support for help with this - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 2:32 PM