Hard drives locked in PIO mode, HELP!! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I have a first gen Windows Home Server with all the latest updates from Microsoft Update running on a HP Proliant ML110 G5 server. I have updated the bios and all firmwares and drivers for the server.

I also had trouble with hardware interupts taking about 50% of the cpu. I identified this to be from HAL.

I thought this could be caused by the drives standing in PIO mode, but actually when i went to the registry to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and the sub keys 0001, 0002 for the Primary and Secondary IDE and removed the MasterIDData Checksum for those and restarted, no i have no hardware interupts, but ide primary and secondary still in PIO mode.

Other things i have tried:

1 - Uninstall the Primary and secondary IDE in device manager, still same afther restart.

2 - Downloaded the hotfix KB941838 and applied, no change.

3 - Set both primary and secondary to udm if avaiable and restarted, still same.

4 - Add the dword value reseterrorcountersonsuccess and set to 1 on the same register key as mentioned higher up and sub keys. Still same.

5 - Updates all drivers, bios and firmware of the server, but still same. Need some help with this.

I have currently the following harddrives:

1 - 80GB drive - array 1 - raid mirror

2 - 80GB drive - array 1 - raid mirror

3 - 1,5TB drive - singeldrive

4 - 1,5TB drive - singeldrive

5 - 2TB drive - Singeldrive

Best Regards
    Håkon

Saturday, December 3, 2011 11:50 PM

All replies

• Your symptoms point toward hardware issues, possibly with the HDD controller (on the motherboard, I assume), but with a small chance of it being some other component.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, December 4, 2011 5:08 AM