Excel 2007 vs Excel 2010 Training and Certification RRS feed

• Question

• There are currently few available training resources for Excel 2010 through Microsoft.  Would utilizing Excel 2007 training resources help me in getting certified for Excel 2010?  What are the big differences between Excel 2007 and Excel 2010?  I have Excel 2010 installed on my computer, but wonder if it would be better to get certified in Excel 2007 for now.
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 10:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Utilizing 2007 materials is never bad in this situation. You have to understand though that you are looking into two different versions. The 2010 has new features as always and therefore one can expect to get questions about these new features. Another big difference is the layout of the Officebutton compared to 'Backstage'. So in theory is it good to use the training resources for 2007 for general purposes and then use the experience to study everything that's new in 2010 and focus on that. Sparklines, Pivottables, Backstage are some features you really have to dive into.

For the general purpose of calculating within excel you can use earlier resources.

For starters check out the Excel blog which has a ton of blogposts about the new features in 2010

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/excel/

It's always good to get certified but you have to wonder if getting certified in an 'older' version does the trick for what you are after. The Excel 2010 exam is just out so take that one and you are good to go for the coming next couple of years.

Maurice

• Marked as answer by Edward Bruce Wednesday, August 25, 2010 8:29 PM
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Utilizing 2007 materials is never bad in this situation. You have to understand though that you are looking into two different versions. The 2010 has new features as always and therefore one can expect to get questions about these new features. Another big difference is the layout of the Officebutton compared to 'Backstage'. So in theory is it good to use the training resources for 2007 for general purposes and then use the experience to study everything that's new in 2010 and focus on that. Sparklines, Pivottables, Backstage are some features you really have to dive into.

For the general purpose of calculating within excel you can use earlier resources.

For starters check out the Excel blog which has a ton of blogposts about the new features in 2010

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/excel/

It's always good to get certified but you have to wonder if getting certified in an 'older' version does the trick for what you are after. The Excel 2010 exam is just out so take that one and you are good to go for the coming next couple of years.

Maurice

• Marked as answer by Edward Bruce Wednesday, August 25, 2010 8:29 PM
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:00 AM
  • HI, as per my personal views on Excel 2007 and 2010 i would say that 2007 is the best one to work upon, though you get new features on 2010 but 2007 is bit easy to use. But don't worry, you can get a Certification for the Excel 2010 from Koenig-Solutions. We have expertise faculty that can help you to understand it better.

Saturday, March 28, 2015 7:53 AM