VS2010 VB.NET Projects Compiling on x64 and x86 systems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I have the following question and I'm not sure where to post it.  Thanks!

I have a vs2010 vb.net solution with two main projects.  The first is just a windows form application.  The second is a context menu shell extension for windows explorer.  I have the solution working fine on my XP machine, but now that I'm moving over to windows 7 I'm running into issues with compiling it for both platforms.  I have added two installer projects to my solution - one for x64 and one for x86.  I'm confused by all the x64/x86/AnyCPU options that are available.  I've tried playing with the the following but haven't landed on something that works everywhere.  Seems like I can right click the windows project and shell extension project, goto properties and adjust the advanced compile options to reflect a specific target CPU.   I can also set the target CPU in the properties of the installer projects.  A third option is right clicking the installer packages and making similar tweaks in the configuration manager.  Does anyone know how I should be setting these options?  Also, I believe that the windows explorer shell extension needs to be 64 bit because windows explorer is now 64 bit in windows 7.   Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:23 PM

Answers