HTML Link to Word Document RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to link to a Word document on an internal file share using HTML. My anchor tag is:
    <a href="file://///SERVER/ShareFolder/Sample.docx">Sample File</a>

And when I hover the mouse over the link, the status bar correctly shows:

When I click on the link, nothing happens at all. However I can successfully right-click-->Save target as... to download the file. Also, if I simply type the URL in the address bar, I am successfully promtped to open or save the file.
    But I need to be able to open the file in place for editing by clicking on the link. I have users on both IE8 & IE9. The site is internal, so I'm happy to add it to a trusted zone if needed, or change client settings as required. Please advise on the best way to accomplish this. Thank you.

• Edited by MCM14 Friday, September 2, 2011 7:28 PM
    • Moved by Cindy Meister MVP Saturday, September 3, 2011 8:11 AM not developer-related (From:Word for Developers)
    Friday, September 2, 2011 7:27 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi MCM

I'm sorry, but the MSDN forums target programming questions. Your issue is at an end-user level and would be better asked on the Answers site:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/word

The knowledge areas and skills of those who help in the forums differ quite a bit between MSDN and Answers. Your more likely to find people with experience in this area on Answers than on MSDN. Unfortunately, we're not able to move questions between the two sites, so you will need to post again on Answers.

When you post, you need to provide more information:

1. It's not clear whether the link you're clicking is in Word, or a web page
    2. It's not clear whether you expect the Word document to open in Internet Explorer or the Word application
    3. You don't mention which version of Word is involved (if at all)

I'll be moving this discussion to the MSDN off-topic forum.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 8:11 AM
  • I will repost in the MSDN forum, because this is definitely a programming issue. I'll provide more information.
    Saturday, September 3, 2011 3:41 PM
  • This was moved out of the Word dev forum.

If you haven't re-asked this, I can move it into a specific MSDN forum if you'd like.

This is regarding your code:

<a href="file://///SERVER/ShareFolder/Sample.docx">Sample File</a>

Thanks!
    Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:20 AM