none
Building via dotnet CLI very slow compared to VS2017 RRS feed

• Question

• I have an ASP Core 2.0 project that builds via VS2017 (community) in 2.5 minutes. When I build with dotnet (same machine) it takes 8.5 minutes.

I see similar issues with other projects as well. When I first started investigating this the ASP project took 20+ minutes to build. I discovered that Windows Defender was the culprit there. I added some exceptions (for Nuget and project file locations) and that lowered the time to 8+ minutes.

I am at a loss as to why there is such a difference between VS and CLI.

Machine is a MacBook Pro, I7, 16GB RAM running Windows 10 Pro via Bootcamp. It is a dev box so installed software is mostly tools (VS, Code, Sublime, Postman, Fiddler).

Taskman is not showing anything mysterious running or consuming resources.

If anyone can shed any light on this it would be appreciated.
    Tuesday, July 17, 2018 9:50 PM

All replies

• Hi DMK_WA,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Refer to your description, it seems your issue is about the ASP.NET Core development and our forum is to discuss the VS IDE, please redirect to this appropriate forum and start a new thread for a better support, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 6:29 AM
  • I posted to this forum because my issue seems to be environment related. Yes, the example is an ASP project but the slow build performance is related to VS and dotnet.exe. My  question is about why is one environment building so much slower than the other?
    Wednesday, July 18, 2018 6:03 PM
  • Hi DMK_WA,

Thank you for your detail description.

I found you already posted the thread in the ASP.NET core forum and please follow Edward's suggestion to troubleshoot this issue, you will get a more professional support from there, thanks for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, July 19, 2018 9:37 AM