Unable to restore client machine from CD. RRS feed

• Question

• Fails while estimating time with the following error:

Launching restore wizard failed with exit code --1073741818

Command:  ClientRestoreWizard.exe

Thursday, March 1, 2007 4:47 PM

Answers

• Could you please file a connect bug with logs? Looks like a new issue.
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 7:26 PM
  • Create logs by running talq.exe on the server and client (if it is still alive) talq is found on the server c:\programfiles\windows\home server
    Friday, March 2, 2007 2:58 PM
  •  schmoo wrote:
    Date time is correct.

DHCP is working, but the restore cd couldn't find the server automatically (non of the client pc's could during connect install). I suspect it is because I have a pc called "server" and I renamed the WHS box to be "server-home"?

It's possible that the connector looks for "server" first, and only tries to discover the real name of the WHS if it's not found, I suppose. It's certainly not a problem to change the machine name of the WHS, though. Pretty much the first thing I did with my WHS once it finished the interminable series of reboots was rename it and change the workgroup it was in. I didn't install the client anywhere until after that, and it found the server just fine.

You could try shutting down the PC named "server" for now and installing the client software again. If it succeeds, I would say you should report your problem as a bug on Connect.
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 1:37 PM

All replies

• Could you please file a connect bug with logs? Looks like a new issue.
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 7:26 PM
  • That error came from a client pc booted from cd - where would I find the logs?
    Friday, March 2, 2007 1:43 PM
  • Create logs by running talq.exe on the server and client (if it is still alive) talq is found on the server c:\programfiles\windows\home server
    Friday, March 2, 2007 2:58 PM
  • How do I run talq on the client when booting from the restore cd?

Gordon.

Friday, March 2, 2007 4:08 PM
  • That was the part about if it is still alive  :o>

If the hard drive has failed you will not be able to

Saturday, March 3, 2007 12:08 AM
  • Just curious/asking.  Is the date/time correct close to the server?  DHCP is working fine on the lan?

Still......Grey

Saturday, March 3, 2007 12:10 AM
  • Date time is correct.

DHCP is working, but the restore cd couldn't find the server automatically (non of the client pc's could during connect install).  I suspect it is because I have a pc called "server" and I renamed the WHS box to be "server-home"?

Gordon

Saturday, March 3, 2007 9:22 AM
  •  schmoo wrote:
    Date time is correct.

DHCP is working, but the restore cd couldn't find the server automatically (non of the client pc's could during connect install). I suspect it is because I have a pc called "server" and I renamed the WHS box to be "server-home"?

It's possible that the connector looks for "server" first, and only tries to discover the real name of the WHS if it's not found, I suppose. It's certainly not a problem to change the machine name of the WHS, though. Pretty much the first thing I did with my WHS once it finished the interminable series of reboots was rename it and change the workgroup it was in. I didn't install the client anywhere until after that, and it found the server just fine.

You could try shutting down the PC named "server" for now and installing the client software again. If it succeeds, I would say you should report your problem as a bug on Connect.
    Saturday, March 3, 2007 1:37 PM