locked
Odd bug (I think) that I'd like to mention--A single image is causing some strange color problems with a stitch. RRS feed

  • Question

  • Ok so here's a fun one. I'm stumped. I've been using ICE to make high resolution images of artwork for a number of years now and it has worked very well. I've never seen any problem like this. I've used both old version and new version. This is new version we're talking about here. I haven't tried replicating this issue with the old version yet

    For this particular project, there appears to be, literally,  ***a single file***  out of 12 that is causing some weird color/rendering problem for me.

    Quick workflow overview RAW(NEF)>Camera Raw>TIFF>ICE

    Here's there problem: http://imgur.com/a/SDEvr

    I've tried every variation in my workflow that I can think of. It all comes back to this one file messing things up.

    This "problem file" is exported as a TIF from ACR the same way all the others are. Same RAW/Camera settings as all the other photos. Everything looks good and stitches just fine using Photomerge... shrug

    I'm not sure what additional info would be helpful, so I'll just hang tight...

    The only thing I can think of is that the original NEF is indeed corrupt in some way. I'm going to shoot the painting again this weekend with hopes that this may be the problem.

    JD






    • Edited by onemoret1me Saturday, February 13, 2016 6:41 AM
    Saturday, February 13, 2016 2:19 AM

All replies

  • JD, since you appear to be pretty skilled at getting the input images exactly as you wish them to appear in the stitch, can I ask why exporting the pano from ICE as a layered Photoshop file doesn't work for you?

    As you may or may not know, when ICE exports things in layered Photoshop file, it uses what it would have produced in a flat image format as the base layer, but then each input image is placed on a separate layer in the PSD. ICE does not output any blending masks or graph cut masks for any of the input images. They are merely reprojected to uniformly overlap with the exposure of each remaining what it was when you put it into ICE (so far as I have been able to see visually).

    You can elect to toggle visibility on the base layer and then do any manual blending between layered images necessary to remove any seams.

    I apologise if I'm telling you what you already know. I'm just trying to understand why that format wouldn't be a solution in this case.

    Monday, March 14, 2016 5:29 AM
  • JD, onemoret1me, here. Following up. My account was suspended for suspected spam.... for the contents of my original post, apparently.

    Anyway..

    NateLawrence, thank you for the response and interest. The issue has been resolved. I photographed the artwork again and ICE worked just fine, as it normally does/has.

    I only made my original post because I thought it was an interesting/unusual occurrence, whether ICE bug or something on my end.

    I tried exporting the composite file in every way possible, layered PSD included. That REALLY made for some weirdness. 

    As I mentioned in my original post, it is, literally, one single image of a 12 image composite that is causing the problem.

    This problem visibly presents itself during the stitching (step 2) within ICE.

    Even at risk of having another account suspended (lol) I'll show you what I mean with some more image examples.

    http://imgur.com/a/dydb6

    img02.jpg is the guy mucking things up. I forgot to add captions.

    Like I said, my issue has been resolved. I just thought it was interesting. If I should post any more info, or even the original images themselves for download, in hopes of figuring out what could be causing this "bug," I can do that.

    JD

    Friday, March 18, 2016 3:53 AM