nForce2-based Mobo unable to start install RRS feed

• Question

• I have a MSI K7N2 Delta2 Platinum motherboard with a AMD AthlonXP 3200+ processor and 1.5GB of RAM. The motherboard is nForce2-based. About a month ago I tried to install Vista on this box and I could not, as the install would always halt during "Setup is loading files."

Ironically enough, with Home Server, the same thing happens again. I throw the DVD in, boot the system up, and it freezes during the "Setup is loading files" stage--sometimes at the beginning, sometimes at the middle, and sometimes at the end.

I'm using a regular 80GB PATA drive, so drivers shouldn't be an issue. I have a 120GB SATA drive that will become the main drive soon--I just wanted to test everything first.

Is there any way to force the install to load the nForce drivers during setup (or is this a compatability issue) ?

Furthermore, has anyone gotten the NVRAID drivers to work with Home Server (as I know they don't work with Vista) ?

~Jaker

Monday, June 18, 2007 6:49 PM

Answers

• I was using the XP drivers (32-bit). There are no Vista drivers for nForce2 boards.

I'll admit, I took the easy way out and just used some spare parts from another box to make the WHS and it works fine now.

I just wonder why some nForce2 chipsets work great with WHS/Vista, while some don't...

~Jaker

Thursday, June 28, 2007 4:31 PM

All replies

• Have you ruled out a hardware fault?  i.e. have you had another OS previously installed and running without issue on the same hardware?

cheers,
    Ben
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:16 AM
  • The hardware is currently running a Linux distro fine, and previous to that it was running Windows XP fine. No hardware changes have occurred since then.
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 3:37 PM
  • Can't answer you question, but will verify it.

I have an ASUS A7N8X nVidia2 board that I tried to install WHS on.  I got the basics to

install and even at one point loaded several of the drivers from the nVidia2 driver disk.

But when I loaded the audio, GART and memory controller drivers it BSOD.

I feel like there is a compatibility issue here since the same machine ran the Vista betas

just fine.

I'll be watching for the answer too!!

Rev

Thursday, June 21, 2007 2:53 AM
  • Are you trying to install VISTA drivers or XP drivers?

Ideally youd be installing windows server 2003 drivers but, as I found out, the XP drivers for the nforce2 chipset works fine..

Dont bother installing the audio and gart driver... WHS doesnt support audio.... and you dont need gart video..

you WILL need the network driver and the sata controller driver (dont try installing the raid driver, it didnt work for me, the plain sata controller driver for XP did however...)

Hope this helps

John

Sunday, June 24, 2007 3:02 PM
  • Hi,

I have WHS RC1 installed with a nForce2 motherbord from Asrock with Athlon XP 1900, no problems what so ever.

After the WHS installation I had to manual install the nvidia driver.

Regards Akny
    Monday, June 25, 2007 11:05 AM
  • I was using the XP drivers (32-bit). There are no Vista drivers for nForce2 boards.

I'll admit, I took the easy way out and just used some spare parts from another box to make the WHS and it works fine now.

I just wonder why some nForce2 chipsets work great with WHS/Vista, while some don't...

~Jaker

Thursday, June 28, 2007 4:31 PM
  • It took me ages to get the drivers to load.  Starting in "Safe Mode" really helped me.  These SIL SATA driver gave me the most problems.   As others have said you need to run it in a non-raid configuration.
    Friday, June 29, 2007 11:00 AM
  • Safe mode when booting the OS after install, or are you implying there a "safe mode" for the install?

The problem I had was even before getting the OS started up. During the Windows PE 2.0 loading screen (before any setup program starts)

EDIT: I was not running as a RAID.

Friday, June 29, 2007 3:53 PM
  • Hi,

Just to add my experience of trying to install WHS RC1 onto an nForce 2 based motherboard (Leadtek WinFast K7nCR18G Pro with Athlon XP 1900+).

I had nothing but trouble with this board, at first I was trying to install onto a SATA drive connected to a PCI SATA controller (SiL3114 based) and could not get the drivers to load during installation at all.  I eventually gave up and bought an identical PATA drive and tried to install on to that first.

This was unsuccessfull aswell, the WHS installation would never get past the setting up of the partitions, it would sit there for ages and eventually pop up a non discript error.  Upon inspection the 20Gb partition had been created on the drive.

Eventually I gave up on this motherboard and swapped it out for a Gigabyte 7DXR (via/amd chipset) with a Athlon XP 2400+ CPU and the software installed flawlessly, added the SATA controller afterwards and installed the SATA driver and everythings been working fine so far.  I noticed that WHS had the drivers for my motherboard ready to go out of the box, so I expect that helped. I didn't want to mess with them so left the drivers that WHS installed in place and it seems to be working fine.

It does seem that some nForce 2 systems are incompatible with WHS, I'm not sure why some and not others though.

Monday, July 2, 2007 10:21 AM
  • Also adding my experience to the mix since I am happy to see other nForce2 based WHS boxes out there.

I had no issue with installing WHS on my nForce2-based machine. I performed the initial install of WHS and was able to get to the desktop without issue. Once there I was able to access the Device Manager and saw that several devices needed drivers. I then downloaded the latest XP drivers for the nForce2 (circa 2003?) and installed them successfully. I recommend disabling the onboard audio unless you have a need for it.

Relevant Specs:

AthlonXP 2500+ @ 1933MHz

Asus A7N266-VM/AA nForce2 IGP

512MB RAM

2x 250GB Seagate HD (on separate IDE channels)

NEC 3520 DVD-RW

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 3:44 PM