Remote Access and ISP's IP RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

First, let me say "thank you!" to your forum members. I just got in my 120-day trial of WHS, and set up a 3-computer "lab" to experiment. Your forum saved me immeasurable time and effort.

I'm sure that this question has probably been asked before, so maybe you can just direct me to the answer. When the ISP assigned IP changes on my router (that is, my public IP), would WHS be "aware" of that if I had a UPnP router? I gather that during the remote access configuration, the wizard must have associated my public IP with my n.homeserver.com account. Does WHS dynamically update that information as the router is updated?

-Mike Cabral

SOHOBE

Monday, March 31, 2008 1:31 AM

Answers

• WHS doesn't get notified that there was an IP address change, but the dynamic DNS client it uses "phones home" every once in a while (I think every 15 minutes), so you wouldn't be off the air for long.
    Monday, March 31, 2008 11:43 AM
  • Yes, the n.homeserver.com fully qualified domain name is automatically mapped to any IP change made by your ISP to the public IP of your router. As far as port forwarding is concerned its generally best practice, IMHO, to assign your WHS a static IP address on your LAN.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323444

Just make sure it is outside the range of addresses your router DHCP server assigns. For example you might select 192.168.1.10 for your WHS box if your router assigns IP addresses in the 192.168.1.X range. Check your router documentation for help.

Note you only really need to enable UPnP on the router if you want the WHS to automatically configure port forwarding. Personally I manually configured port forwarding for TCP Port 443 (SSL) and TCP Port 4125 (Remote Desktop proxy). If I used UPnP the WHS would automatically configure TCP Port 80 (IIS) which is blocked by my ISP. In general I would not use TCP Port 80 anyway since I only want to allow incoming access via the SSL tunnel. Of course that is a personal decision.

All replies

• WHS doesn't get notified that there was an IP address change, but the dynamic DNS client it uses "phones home" every once in a while (I think every 15 minutes), so you wouldn't be off the air for long.
  • Yes, the n.homeserver.com fully qualified domain name is automatically mapped to any IP change made by your ISP to the public IP of your router. As far as port forwarding is concerned its generally best practice, IMHO, to assign your WHS a static IP address on your LAN.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323444

Just make sure it is outside the range of addresses your router DHCP server assigns. For example you might select 192.168.1.10 for your WHS box if your router assigns IP addresses in the 192.168.1.X range. Check your router documentation for help.

Note you only really need to enable UPnP on the router if you want the WHS to automatically configure port forwarding. Personally I manually configured port forwarding for TCP Port 443 (SSL) and TCP Port 4125 (Remote Desktop proxy). If I used UPnP the WHS would automatically configure TCP Port 80 (IIS) which is blocked by my ISP. In general I would not use TCP Port 80 anyway since I only want to allow incoming access via the SSL tunnel. Of course that is a personal decision.

• Hi, Al and Ken,

So, let me see if I have this correct--The UPnP is only necessary to automatically configure the port forwarding. If I port forward manually (which I had to do, since WHS didn't talk to my Linksys router which is supposedly configured for UPnP), I don't need to worry about much else. I have configured the WHS for a manual internal IP that is outside of the Linksys' scope. That worked fine. I was able to access the WHS via the homeserver URL. My worry was when my ISP changes my public IP that the WHS wouldn't be accessible remotely at that point. But, if I understand correctly, there's an agent which will alert homeserver.com. That's great!

Thank you very much for another bit of help!

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 6:40 PM
  • You got it. Glad to hear its working for you...

Thursday, April 3, 2008 10:30 AM
  • Just a quick question on the "inside" vs "outside" of router scope.  The MS article referenced earlier in the thread says to keep the IP address "inside" the range of IP addresses but you guys are saying set it "outside" the range. Why would you set it outside the regular IP range of the router?  I am also using WHS for remote access but want to be sure all my internal home network devices communicate properly.

Thanks

Thursday, April 3, 2008 12:37 PM
  • What the article says is...

This IP address must be a unique address in the range of addresses that are available for your network.

...meaning if your router uses the 192.168.1.X range of addresses you should NOT use a 192.168.100.X address for example (see the third octet in the addresses).

So if the router uses the 192.168.1.X address range then assign a static address to the WHS in the same range but outside the addresses assigned by the routers DHCP server. For example the DHCP address range may start at 192.168.1.100 and go up so using an address below that would keep you from having address conflicts, ie. use 192.168.1.10 for example. Check the users manual for your router for the exact range of the DHCP assigned addresses.

Thursday, April 3, 2008 2:06 PM