Lost functions and no "LIVE' support RRS feed

• Question

• I ran a tune up on OneCare clean up and defrag and lost 2 functions.  I lost my dial up, message states that I don't have a modem (right now I'm on wifi), my modem diagnostic says it fine.

The 2d function is even worse, I lost my google tool bar with functions I really liked and used. I can not find it or successfully install a replacement. Message says either I already have it or that it was installed. I've looked everywhere and tried everything I know.

The final nail is Windows LIVE OneCare has no real Live support, only canned answers and a chat/phone support that does not exist. I've used other software and always had real support. I tried this and wish........! 

Sunday, November 25, 2007 10:46 PM

Answers

• OneCare support via chat and phone is available for subscribers per the information here -

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

I can't explain how your modem would disappear from running a OneCare tune-up, I suspect something else is going on with the machine. The same goes for the Google Toolbar - OneCare won't remove that. If you are using IE7, click alt to display the text menu, select View and Toolbars to see if the Google Toolbar is listed. If so, select it. If not, go to Control Panel, add/remove program (Programs and Features in Vista) and uninstall the Google Toolbar from the list of programs and then reinstall it.

-steve

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 1:05 AM

All replies

• OneCare support via chat and phone is available for subscribers per the information here -

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

I can't explain how your modem would disappear from running a OneCare tune-up, I suspect something else is going on with the machine. The same goes for the Google Toolbar - OneCare won't remove that. If you are using IE7, click alt to display the text menu, select View and Toolbars to see if the Google Toolbar is listed. If so, select it. If not, go to Control Panel, add/remove program (Programs and Features in Vista) and uninstall the Google Toolbar from the list of programs and then reinstall it.

-steve

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 1:05 AM
  • I've also had a blog entry posted with screen shots of the support experience on the OneCare blog.

http://windowsonecare.spaces.live.com/PersonalSpace.aspx

-Marisela

Friday, November 30, 2007 11:57 PM
  •  Chela wrote:

I've also had a blog entry posted with screen shots of the support experience on the OneCare blog.

http://windowsonecare.spaces.live.com/PersonalSpace.aspx

-Marisela

I will edit the FAQ posting I made of your blog entry to include the pictures and will probably also update the FAQ in the install folder, Marisela. When I got your blog entry, I didn't have the time to go through the edit to reference the external images.

-steve

Saturday, December 1, 2007 3:20 AM
  • This is very frustrating and I am not happy, since I really want to keep from being unpleasant, I'll say, do not, anyone, use the clean unnecessary file ( I think that is what it's called). I had to restore to a previous day to get it back. I had tried your suggestion, it did not work.  I had to completely start over to get my modem back!  My computer manufacturer's tech support could not help after hours of attempts. I wish that there is more immediate support than what is provided.  When I have a problem, I want to fix it now not, maybe days later in a chat room.  With no support I consider my money wasted and will go to another company. I also will tell everyone I know or see when they are buying security software

Sunday, December 2, 2007 12:32 AM
  • If you are a paid subscriber, phone support is available. It is, however, more difficult than it should be to access if there is a problem with your OneCare subscription detection. I have requested that Microsoft reconsider the removal of the support options being available when signing into the support web URL that I had been providing in the past. Since it is secure, you can only see the phone and chat options if you are signed in with a valid LiveID for a subscription.

-steve

Monday, December 3, 2007 3:33 AM