none
Where to go from here? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

Can someone help me with certification paths?

I have currently passed 70-680, 70-685, 70-270 and 70-290.

I assume from here I do 70-291 in order the be a Server 2003 MCSA?

This will then be deduct by July 2013 if I'm not mistaken?

So, what would the quickest way to be more up to date be? I assume I would do 1 or 2 exams to be up to Server 2008, but is this less prestiges?

I'm really confused. Tired ring MS and they cut me off after 14 minutes of getting no where.

Thanks people :)

Friday, June 29, 2012 3:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Jonny,

I currently have the 70-290 and 70-680, working on 70-685 which i am taking next month whilst back home on holiday.  Seeing as you are only one exam from the 2003 MCSA then I dont see any reason why you would waste the other exams you took.  I attemped the 70-291 before I left Ireland for the middle east and did miserably at it (sub 600).

I would get the 2003 MCSA and then go for the 2008 MCSA. Otherwise its 3 exams and if you have any experience in it at all then it will be helpful.

According to the bottom section at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-windowsserver-all.aspx#tab2 once you have the MCSA 2003 you can take 2 exams to Upgrade to MCSA 2008/MCITP Server Administrator.

So basically, either way you have 3 exams to do, if you have the time to do the 2003 MCSA and upgrade before July 2012 (you have a year) then I would personally advise you to go that way as it gets you another certification and will have 2 different server versions under your belt.

BUT, at the end of the day only you can decide.  I wish you the best of luck, would love to know how you did on the 70-685

Mark Railton, MCTS, MCP

Friday, June 29, 2012 7:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Jonny,

I currently have the 70-290 and 70-680, working on 70-685 which i am taking next month whilst back home on holiday.  Seeing as you are only one exam from the 2003 MCSA then I dont see any reason why you would waste the other exams you took.  I attemped the 70-291 before I left Ireland for the middle east and did miserably at it (sub 600).

I would get the 2003 MCSA and then go for the 2008 MCSA. Otherwise its 3 exams and if you have any experience in it at all then it will be helpful.

According to the bottom section at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-windowsserver-all.aspx#tab2 once you have the MCSA 2003 you can take 2 exams to Upgrade to MCSA 2008/MCITP Server Administrator.

So basically, either way you have 3 exams to do, if you have the time to do the 2003 MCSA and upgrade before July 2012 (you have a year) then I would personally advise you to go that way as it gets you another certification and will have 2 different server versions under your belt.

BUT, at the end of the day only you can decide.  I wish you the best of luck, would love to know how you did on the 70-685

Mark Railton, MCTS, MCP

Friday, June 29, 2012 7:50 PM
  • Thanks Mark, big help.. You've basically confirmed I was thinking along the right lines lol.

Seems like a good idea, and I assume to the best way forward after that (maybe 3 years) is to do the 2 exam upgrade path to Server 2012.

I dont know why I did 70-685. I was with the training provider computeach and never looked on the Microsoft website, but to get MCSA seems pointless that I've had to go through it. They also said O need 70-291 and 70-299 to get MCSA, but from the site it's obvious I only need 291 now.

I've just checked my report and 70-685 was a 900 score. I actually thought it was easy (ish) but I would say I have done a lot of geeky personal stuff on Windows 7, where as the Server stuff I have done was quite challenging as I have no 'real' experience in it. 

I recently managed to get a first line it job, started studying for 70-270 in November last year which was my first studies of Server and at that point I hadn't done anything in Server before. I started my job a month ago, and I can say now, I would not have passed if it wasn't for my job.

Again Mark, thanks, great help :)

Friday, June 29, 2012 9:33 PM
  • Glad I've helped Jonny.  I personally feel the 70-685 is good to have as alot of corps are using and/or moving to windows 7 over the next while, so having that will also show you know your stuff.

I have been doing alot of win 7 stuff myself over last while and hope that is going to stand to me as well.  Been going through the Skills Measured on MS Learning quite a bit.  Grats on getting the 900, i got 970 on the 70-680 and was shocked to say the least.

Looks like we will be going down a similar tract now, tho seeing as I have only 1 exam on the 2003 server im not going to bother going for it.  Would appreciate it if you would mark the post above as answer.  

Mark Railton, MCTS, MCP

Saturday, June 30, 2012 10:58 AM