none
Microsoft Exams / Certifications RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been working as an IT administrator/IT technician for the past 16 years – the first 8 years part-time while taking my Master degree in computer science and the latest 8 years as a freelancer. The last 8 years I have been doing as a side business along my job developing financial software for a large bank. My freelance career started as a favor to a friend who needed some servers for his business and now I am serving a few smaller businesses.

Question 1:

What is my best option to get some Microsoft certifications?

I am not interested in joining a course as time is not my biggest asset. Nor I am interested in paying ($$$$) for a 3 day course at a certified partner. I am only interested in the exam.

There seems to be a lot of online courses and exam preparing materials but none seems to included the actual exam. Even Microsoft points to Prometric which only allows me to sign up with a sponsor?!

Now..

I know my way around most client/server architecture and most Microsoft technologies and services i.e. TS, AD, IIS, PDC, hyper-V, etc. Everything you need to set up a company from server to user and back. I started on the NT platform and just finished installing a full windows 2012 setup. I also do hardware, network, firewall, scripting and programming etc. My latest setup included a full migration from Exchange to Office 365 and NAV nativeDB to NAV SQL server etc.

While I never thought of this I was approached by Microsoft to join their partner program due to my recent purchase of 50 Office365 users. I had to decline as I do not have an established company. I do a simple pr. hours consultancy work under a temporarily position as this has worked best for me - until now - in regards to the complexity of having a company and a fulltime job.

Question 2:

In regards to question 1; Am I better off establishing a company and then joining a partner program in order to get access to the Microsoft certifications?

I am looking to do the following certifications or equivalent:

Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE): Server Infrastructure

Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA); Servers; Windows and SQL, Office365

Server Virtualization with Windows Server Hyper-V and System Center

Then I want to do these:

Microsoft Dynamics NAV Installation and Configuration

Microsoft Dynamics NAV Core Setup and Finance

Sorry for the detailed background info but I was hoping it would make it easier to answer.

As a last info I am willing to do a study-holiday if that’s what it takes to do the exam abroad. I.e. if a package is offered including one or more of the stated certifications.

I am currently stationed in Copenhagen, Denmark.

All help/info is appreciated. Thanks!

Best regards

Tom

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 8:47 AM

Answers

• Microsoft points to Prometric which only allows me to sign up with a sponsor

This is perhaps misleading. The "sponsor" refers to "what company produces the exam that you wish to take". You simply select "Microsoft" in the dropdown list. Then you can follow the steps on screen to sign up for an exam.

Am I better off establishing a company and then joining a partner program in order to get access to the Microsoft certifications?
    No, you can take the exams perfectly well as an individual. Establishing a company could make sense if you wanted to become a Microsoft Partner, which would provide you with software licenses for internal use, account credit for Azure, access to Training materials, marketing materials, and other advantages. But it isn't needed if you just want a certification.
    Thursday, August 28, 2014 7:30 PM

All replies

• Microsoft points to Prometric which only allows me to sign up with a sponsor

This is perhaps misleading. The "sponsor" refers to "what company produces the exam that you wish to take". You simply select "Microsoft" in the dropdown list. Then you can follow the steps on screen to sign up for an exam.

Am I better off establishing a company and then joining a partner program in order to get access to the Microsoft certifications?
    No, you can take the exams perfectly well as an individual. Establishing a company could make sense if you wanted to become a Microsoft Partner, which would provide you with software licenses for internal use, account credit for Azure, access to Training materials, marketing materials, and other advantages. But it isn't needed if you just want a certification.
    Thursday, August 28, 2014 7:30 PM
  • Hello Tom,

We have a fantastic class for you to get your MCSE in Server Infrastructure and System Center, here is a link:

MS-MCSA & Dual MCSE: Server 2012
    R2 & System Center 2012 Private Cloud Boot Camp

We have other options for other MCSEs as well. 

Let me know what you think.

Thank you,

Joseph

josephc@unitekeducation.com

(510)743-2769

Thursday, September 4, 2014 10:57 PM