Problems restoring PST file RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to restore an Outlook 2003 PST file from OneCare.  Everything is fine all the up to clicking the button to restore files. At that point I get a message that states "Restore cannot continue" indicating the external hard disk is no longer available.  It states to make sure drive is connected and try restore again.  The dirve IS connected and I have tried several times to get this to work.  The PST file spans around 9 zip files.  I have tried to saves these files elsewhere and ran the SCANPST program and repair tool against them and then import into Outlook.  This doesn't work either. I am a long time user of Microsoft products and am becoming dissillusioned.  Now I find OneCare will not be supported in 2010.  Here is the screen capture. I am running OneCare v2.5.2900.28.  I need these Outlook files.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009 5:02 PM

Answers

• The screen caps won't post here.
    Are you restoring to another PC than the one from which the backup was performed? if so, try first configuring backup to use the external disk and run a backup - it will not overwrite the existing backups. Then try the restore again.
    Was the backup made to this disk when it was attached to a Hub PC that was hosting a Centralized Storage device? Or was the drive attached and used for backup by only one PC?
    The scanpst process won't work until you first extract the contents from the zip files and rejoin all of the parts using this utility - 

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/ - it will need you to rename the parts to have extensions of 001, 002, 003, etc.

Once the file is rejoined from the splits, you can run scanpst against it and import the data into your new pst file.

If you can't get it restored, you can contact support for help.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 5:42 PM

All replies

• The screen caps won't post here.
    Are you restoring to another PC than the one from which the backup was performed? if so, try first configuring backup to use the external disk and run a backup - it will not overwrite the existing backups. Then try the restore again.
    Was the backup made to this disk when it was attached to a Hub PC that was hosting a Centralized Storage device? Or was the drive attached and used for backup by only one PC?
    The scanpst process won't work until you first extract the contents from the zip files and rejoin all of the parts using this utility - 

http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/ - it will need you to rename the parts to have extensions of 001, 002, 003, etc.

Once the file is rejoined from the splits, you can run scanpst against it and import the data into your new pst file.

If you can't get it restored, you can contact support for help.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 5:42 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback.  I will try the rejoin and then the scanpst. To answer your questions, I tried retoring from the same PC where the backup was performed and I have tried restoring from the Hub PC.  Same error.  I copied the entire backup to another external drive on the hub PC and tried restoring, same error.  It sees the backup, presents the files, it just doesn't restore.  As mentioned I have "extracted the 10 parts of the PST files from the backup area but didn't know how to rejoin.  I tried running scanpst on each which didn't work.

In summary I will try the rejoin and scanpst and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks, Fred in Quinton
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 7:38 PM
  • The rejoin worked and I successfully recovered all of the outlook data.  That was a life saver as it was my wife's computer.  Now, can you tell a way to recover data deleted by the DOS rd command without having a backup?  I believe that only Chris Angel can help me with that one.

Thanks again for the help.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 12:10 AM
  • You're welcome. Glad I could help. For recovering deleted files, you'll need a utility, as far as I know. And if there have been writes to the disc after the deletion, your chances for recovery are reduced greatly. I've used a program, not free, called UnDelete, in the past. It was worth the price - less that $50, as I recall.
    -steve
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 1:15 AM
  • Thanks again.  I'll give it a try.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:37 PM