Restore from backup stuck at 81% RRS feed

• Question

• Previously my backup was stuck at 79% - then after I installed some updates (power pack/etc) my restore is now stuck at 81%.  It never completes and if you wait a long while (30 minutes or more) you will get the message "the connector can no longer communicate with the backup server".  I have 3 computers to test the connector on, windows xp and vista, and none of them seem to move past 81%.

I've been trying to find a solution for this issue or a workaround because I have a backup with some information on it that I no longer have the source for.  I've read many people have the 79% problem and I've read of others with the 81% problem popping up after they applied fixes.  I know that at 79% seems to be when the client PC starts to load the virtual drive and in some cases a Z: drive does pop up on my machine, but I cannot browse it and often get the "this drive isn't formatted, yes/no" message.

Please, someone tell me Microsoft planned a way to extract a backup set that doesn't go through the broken connector software!  If I have 220 GB of useless data that can't be recovered, that is awfully sad because I think pkzip could do better than Microsoft has...

any work around people have is appreciated, thank you.
    Friday, December 19, 2008 9:30 PM

Answers

• thebrink said:

Previously my backup was stuck at 79% - then after I installed some updates (power pack/etc) my restore is now stuck at 81%.  It never completes and if you wait a long while (30 minutes or more) you will get the message "the connector can no longer communicate with the backup server".  I have 3 computers to test the connector on, windows xp and vista, and none of them seem to move past 81%.

I've been trying to find a solution for this issue or a workaround because I have a backup with some information on it that I no longer have the source for.  I've read many people have the 79% problem and I've read of others with the 81% problem popping up after they applied fixes.  I know that at 79% seems to be when the client PC starts to load the virtual drive and in some cases a Z: drive does pop up on my machine, but I cannot browse it and often get the "this drive isn't formatted, yes/no" message.

Please, someone tell me Microsoft planned a way to extract a backup set that doesn't go through the broken connector software!  If I have 220 GB of useless data that can't be recovered, that is awfully sad because I think pkzip could do better than Microsoft has...

Hi,

There are different causes for the 79/81% backup issues and we are currently working on a resolution for them.  I've run a query and I can't find a bug in the database that has this exact error message. Can you file a bug on Connect for this? If you are not already a member, please register and join. Then click on the feedback link and file the bug. Please be sure to submit both client and server CABs.

If we need further follow up, we will do so in the bug. 

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Friday, December 19, 2008 10:56 PM

All replies

• thebrink said:

Previously my backup was stuck at 79% - then after I installed some updates (power pack/etc) my restore is now stuck at 81%.  It never completes and if you wait a long while (30 minutes or more) you will get the message "the connector can no longer communicate with the backup server".  I have 3 computers to test the connector on, windows xp and vista, and none of them seem to move past 81%.

Hi,

There are different causes for the 79/81% backup issues and we are currently working on a resolution for them.  I've run a query and I can't find a bug in the database that has this exact error message. Can you file a bug on Connect for this? If you are not already a member, please register and join. Then click on the feedback link and file the bug. Please be sure to submit both client and server CABs.

If we need further follow up, we will do so in the bug. 

Thank you
    Friday, December 19, 2008 10:56 PM
  • Hi Lara..

Try running a query on "Opening backup hangs at 81%.  After opening a bug report and uploading the proper cabs and files, all I got was that the problem was Closed (Not Reproducible).  Yet here we have another user with the same problem. 

BTW -- I erased all of my old backups after my case was closed, and that seemed to solve the problem.  I can now open the new backups and access the files.  My problem revolved around a hard drive that failed on a client.  When I needed my backup for a restore---WHS let me down.

My experience with WHS has been rather disappointing. I see the great potential that it can offer, yet it has failed to deliver.  I only hope that the WHS team can fix the nagging problems that plague it.

JN
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 3:41 AM
  • I too had the 81% hang on single file restore as well.  I did file a report and submitted the appropriate CABs.  I was asked to do one other thing, but in between that time I deleted my entire backup database and no longer had the problem with the new backups.  Having mentioning that fact my report was closed with the comment "we'll let the backup group know."  Something with the older backups is causing an issue with single file restore.

I'm a fan of windows home server, and do defend it when necessary.  However, two major issues that affect the two primary functions of WHS cast some doubt over the amount of dedication that Microsoft has toward WHS.  The first issue was the data corruption bug that was fixed with PP1, the second issue is the 79% & 81% single file recovery bugs.

In my eyes these are stop ship bugs because they affect both the server ability and backup functionality of WHS.  I understand that Microsoft may not give the resources required to fix these issues, but either the PM or dev manager needs to propogate these problems up the chain of command until someone takes notice and provides the resources to fix them (or at least QA the product properly).

To be honest, if I were an ISV I wouldn't install and sell hardware for WHS because of these issues.  I would hazard a guess that HP & Seimens may have spent more money in support for these issues than they received in profits from selling their respective WHS hardware.  (actually, maybe I take that back because HP appears to still be selling the MediaSmart hardware-indicating that they have a financial reason to keep selling it).

I know this is harsh and nothing the team doesn't already know about.  I work for a major software company and know the frustration that comes from shipping a product with perhaps too many known shippables-and also the feeling of "I knew that was coming..." when users complain about certain bugs.

Perhaps I'm just frustrated today. :P  I still like WHS but it's hard to tell prospective users of shortcomings that seem unacceptable for a backup & server type product.

Saturday, December 20, 2008 6:02 AM
  • I believe that 81% is around the time that your home server is trying to initialize the virtual device driver that supports mounting a backup as a drive on a client PC. (I.e. the server has identified enough data from the backup you requested to display a folder view of the root of that drive, and it's time to send that data down to the client PC.) If you have a bunch of odd storage drivers running, there is a chance that the mount will fail due to (effectively) an application incompatibility.As a test, I just opened two backups. One is from last night, the other is from 11/23/2007. (I have never had a backup database failure on this server, obviously.) They were for different PCs, and they both opened successfully.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 2:36 PM
  • Hi Ken

I have 4 different clients, none of them could open the backups.  One of my clients had a fresh install of Vista..same results.  The problems must be in the backup database.  Something is corrupting them and preventing some of us from opening them.  As I noted earlier, after I deleted my old backup database,  and created new backups, I was able to access and open the new backups. 
    I have been using this product since the beta started and I felt it offered a nice option for the home user.  But at this point, I still don't feel comfortable  using it as my only solution for backups.  I can only hope that the bugs are worked out, and this product reaches its full potential. 

JN
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 3:50 PM
  • jn333 said:

Hi Lara..

Try running a query on "Opening backup hangs at 81%.  After opening a bug report and uploading the proper cabs and files, all I got was that the problem was Closed (Not Reproducible).  Yet here we have another user with the same problem. 

BTW -- I erased all of my old backups after my case was closed, and that seemed to solve the problem.  I can now open the new backups and access the files.  My problem revolved around a hard drive that failed on a client.  When I needed my backup for a restore---WHS let me down.

My experience with WHS has been rather disappointing. I see the great potential that it can offer, yet it has failed to deliver.  I only hope that the WHS team can fix the nagging problems that plague it.

JN

Hi

What is the feedback ID for this bug?

Thanks
    Monday, December 22, 2008 12:13 AM
  • Feedback ID 384503
    Monday, December 22, 2008 5:07 PM
  • jn333 said:

Feedback ID 384503

Hi,

I've figured out what happened here. Your bug was duped to another bug because they were the same issue. The customer who owned the master bug, resolved his issue by deleting his database and starting over leaving us with no choice but to resolve his bug as 'not repro' because the events surrounding the bug were 'lost.'

Unfortunately, because your bug was 'duped' to this bug, it also got resolved as 'Not Repro' because resolutions are transparent. Normally this works in your favor because when a master bug is fixed, your bug is as well.

I've contacted the person who resolved the master bug and asked them about this.  Please watch the status of the bug for a change or update but also keep in mind that we are in the middle of the holidays and some responses may be slow.

Thanks
    Monday, December 22, 2008 5:35 PM
  • I'm having the same issue as this. I have 4 client pc's on my home network, 3 running Vista Ultimate 32bit and a brandnew ( 3 days old ) HP Touchsmart running Vista home premium 64 bit. WHS is the HP MediaSmart Server. None of the machines can read any backup - even the new machine cant open a manual backup of itself that is less than 1 hour old. They all get to 81% then i get the message " Cannot connect to the backup service on the server. Please verify all services are running." When i try to restore on the laptop, it asks me to format Z:, but i'm guessing that this is because there is only 10gb left on its hard disk and so has no room to mount the backup. There are quite a few photos in the backups that i would like, so any suggestions on how to resolve this would be gratefully received!!

Thanks,

Chris
    Monday, December 22, 2008 9:09 PM
  • ChrisWalker1970 said:

I'm having the same issue as this. I have 4 client pc's on my home network, 3 running Vista Ultimate 32bit and a brandnew ( 3 days old ) HP Touchsmart running Vista home premium 64 bit. WHS is the HP MediaSmart Server. None of the machines can read any backup - even the new machine cant open a manual backup of itself that is less than 1 hour old. They all get to 81% then i get the message " Cannot connect to the backup service on the server. Please verify all services are running." When i try to restore on the laptop, it asks me to format Z:, but i'm guessing that this is because there is only 10gb left on its hard disk and so has no room to mount the backup. There are quite a few photos in the backups that i would like, so any suggestions on how to resolve this would be gratefully received!!

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I know that this isn't what you want to hear but can you submit a bug for us on Connect? We are currently working on several backup isues and we'd like to review as many of these as possible.  If you are not already registered on Connect, please register and then join the Windows Home Server program. Once you are in the program, please file a bug in the feedback section. We will need CABs from both the server and the client. Once we have the bug, we will follow up with you on Connect.

Thanks
    Monday, December 22, 2008 9:28 PM
  • Hi Lara,

thanks for the quick response. Happy to do what you ask, can you post instructions to do this or you could email me chris@cjwalker.co.uk.

Thanks,

Chris
    Monday, December 22, 2008 10:23 PM
  • simonfuckwit said:

Hi Lara,

thanks for the quick response. Happy to do what you ask, can you post instructions to do this or you could email me chris@cjwalker.co.uk.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

1.       Go to https://connect.microsoft.com/default.aspx and register for a Connect ID if you do not already have one.

2.       Once you’ve registered, browse to https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer. This is an open program so you should be able to join.  You will need to have already registered at the address above so that you have a Connect ID.

3.       Once you are in the Windows Home Server Program, there are a group of links on the left hand side. Select Feedback.   Once you are on this page, it will force you to search. Enter backup or whatever you want and click on the arrow button to search. Scroll down and hit the submit feedback button to create a new bug.

On the submit feedback form page, pick the form that applies to your build/server. Enter the appropriate text to describe your bug.

We will need CABs and in order to submit those, you will need to install the toolkit (x86 or x64). This page: https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/content/content.aspx?ContentID=8535 provides information regarding how to submit CABs to Microsoft.  You can also review the manual for the toolkit for additional information.

5.       Finish the bug and submit.  You’re done with this part. We will follow up with you on Connect.

Thanks!

Monday, December 22, 2008 10:45 PM
  • Thanks Lara

I will keep an eye on the status.  Have a good holiday.

John
    Monday, December 22, 2008 11:26 PM
  • I have added my validation to this bug report. I had re-installed WHS back in October, since I had suffered from the 79% bug for a long time, but had thought I had caused it by doing updates from a remote desktop connection, instead of using the console.

So I re-installed. I was VERY pleased to see a restore of one file work flawlessly after the re-install.

Now, when I really do need to retrieve a file, I cannot do it. It stops at 81% with the same message mentioned above.

Is there some hope that backing out the updates that I understand occurred in November will help me get this file restored? I am rather disgusted that even though I have followed the "rules" this time, it isn't working.
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 3:40 AM
  • Personally, I feel this bug is a much more important fix than the file corruption one that was fixed with PP1.

I lost some irreplaceable photos with a corrupted backup in the Release Candidate despite the help of Brubber and others on the forums to try and save them. (not one word from Microsoft however).

Since installing the OEM version and all the updates on my server, I have twice had corrupted backups that needed the database reset to get working again. The last time was just a week ago when one of my clients started reporting hard drive errors. Because of being burned by WHS before, I tried to open a backup of this PC just to make sure it was good before I installed a new hard drive in the client. Sure enough, stopped @ 81%! Fortunately, the hard drive in the client continued to work while I reset the database once again and quickly used the manual backup on my clients.

From now on it will be Standard Operating Proceedure for me to open up my client backups once a week to make sure they are good.

GarretV
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 4:31 AM
  •   Greetings from Nebraska.... Minus 24 and 40mph winds :)

Ditto on the 81% restore issue.  All I wanted to do was view the backup and it hung at 81%.

Based on what I read above, it sounds like deleting the backups fixes the problem. Since I don't trust whs and run parallel backups on a different drive, I can easily delete all whs backups and see if that fixes the problem.

Just so I know, does it look like this is a PP1 conversion issue and, after deleting the backups, it shouldn't happen again? Or, is it too soon to tell where the problem lies?

Thanks!
    Dick Day
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 5:48 AM
  • I don't believe it's a PP1 conversion issue, because PP1 didn't change the way the backup database is designed. The 81% issue is similar to the 79% issues that have been reported for some time, and os probably related closely to one or more of the causes of that issue. 

Before you wipe your database, could you try a full restore of one of the partitions you can't open for "loose file" restoration? You can either do that by booting the  Restore CD, or by running ClientRestoreWizard.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server on a client. Use a partition or disk that's at least as large as the backup image you're restoring, and use one that contains no data you care about. :)

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 3:31 PM
  • I had a similar problem with backups stalling at 35%. I had to rebuild my workstations.
    qts
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 5:46 PM
  •  
    I just threw a new Vista laptop on the network and did a whs backup without incident.  When I attempted to view the backup, it got to 81% and locked.

I believe you're correct about it being an os issue. I was able to open the very same backup on an XP box with no problem.

Dick Day
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 9:31 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

I don't believe it's a PP1 conversion issue, because PP1 didn't change the way the backup database is designed. The 81% issue is similar to the 79% issues that have been reported for some time, and os probably related closely to one or more of the causes of that issue. 

Before you wipe your database, could you try a full restore of one of the partitions you can't open for "loose file" restoration? You can either do that by booting the  Restore CD, or by running ClientRestoreWizard.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server on a client. Use a partition or disk that's at least as large as the backup image you're restoring, and use one that contains no data you care about. :)

I tried to use the ClientRestoreWizard, and it did not work. It came up with an error "An unknown network error has occurred during PC Restore." Then right after that, the WHS Connector icon in the tray popped up a tooltip with a network health critical notice that said that the Backup service was not running on the Server. I was hoping this would work for me, since we really need that file that was lost. I won't be getting rid of my backups until I can (hopefully) get that file back.

As an aside, in my case at least, I don't think it is an OS issue. I have been unable to restore the file using any of my computers, which mainly have XP on them, but our new Vista laptop was also unable to restore the file as well.
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 12:10 AM
  • Is there a way to monitor the backup process and see which files are being backed up? I'm still fighting a corruption issue that occurs if I have a file open during the backup process. Being able to see the backup in progress may help determine why the corruption is occuring.

Thanks 
    Dick Day
    Thursday, December 25, 2008 3:36 PM
  • Same issue, different forum. http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2771 , they did find some work arounds, may help with some systems.

Ben

Ben Ogilvie
    • Proposed as answer by antonu123 Monday, October 5, 2009 8:56 PM
    Thursday, December 25, 2008 4:23 PM
  • Ken, I tried the ClientRestoreWizard on the new Vista laptop and got an unknown network error.

When I bought the HP 470 with whs, I bought it with the intention of using just 4 of the many wonderful whs features...

1. A file server that would allow me to create and edit Microsoft Visual Foxpro projects
    2. Redundant drives for protection in the event of a drive failure
    3. Network-wide backups
    4. Remote access to the server.

To re-cap:
    1. I cannot have any file open during storage balancing or it becomes corrupted.
    2. I removed the 2nd drive hoping it would resolve problem #1 (also with drive#2 installed, the latency increased dramatically)
    3. Having workstation backups that cannot even be viewed, much less restored, are of no value.
    4. I really do like the remote access feature that, so far, has worked flawlessly.

My hats are off to all of the moderators, especially you Ken.  You guys do exactly what you are supposed to do, provide helpful suggestions and at the same time, defend Windows Home Server when necessary.  In both areas, you do an excellent job.

I know you disagree with me on this, but I still contend that:
    1. WHS was released way too soon with no where near enough testing
    2. WHS is being marketed to the wrong group of people. The typical "home" user is not knowledgable enough keep this product running when something breaks, and as we've all seen, it breaks a lot, even doing the most basic functions.

If I were to buy Windows 2003 or 2008 server software, could a headless server like the HP be used?  I really like what whs is supposed to do but have invested way too much time trying to work around the bugs.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dick Day
    Friday, December 26, 2008 3:52 AM
  • What is the status of the 81% problem? I'm having this problem trying to open the backups from one of my 3 client computers. The backups from the other 2 client pc's open without problems. All client computers are XP Pro. Server is HP MSS.
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 4:12 PM
  • The feedback id for this bug on Connect is: 389014. The originator has been offered a new version of the software by Microsoft which is said to fix problems with single file restore. Since it was offered right before Christmas, nothing new has been reported in the main body of the feedback item. I added a validation, and there is one other validation. I'm not sure things will move forward with this until the originator of the report tries out the new software version. I wish I could try it out....

(Cut my edit to be able to add a post to bump the thread....)
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 7:50 PM
  • The feedback seems to have been changed to private, since there was private information in it, according to the e-mail I received when I asked about the fact that I can no longer view it. This is unfortunate, in my opinion, since many others seem to have this problem, and I really need to know if and when this is going to be fixed. I really need to access the files in my backups. And I'd like to see if the new software that was offered to the originator helped at all.

I suppose I ought to submit my own feedback....

EDIT: I see that a new feedback on this subject has been submitted by someone (thanks!) id: 390003
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 9:19 PM
  • I had a similar experience yesterday. On my client machine, I have three hard drives, each partitioned into two partitions. I have installed XP Pro on the primary partition of the first hard drive, Vista Ultimate 32-bit on the second hard drive's primary partition and Vista Ultimate 64-bit on the third hard drive's primary partition.

The XP Pro installation is about one year old and is fully updated and patched. It runs 24 - 7.  It has been a client of my WHS (home-brewed) since install. In the past, I have had the 79% issue, which I resolved by resetting the backup database. I have also had issues with being able to view some backups, but not others. It seems that when I change some drivers or hardware I have issues with viewing subsequent backups.  I have configured the backup to backup the first hard drive and the second hard drive.

The Vista Ultimate 32-bit install has the connector installed, but no backups are configured, as the XP Pro install backs up this hard drive.

This past week, I decided to check out Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I have read many horror stories about 64-bit and decided to see for myself. After installing the os and some of the applications I normally run, I tried to install the connector software. I spent almost a day trying different things to get it installed. I gave the search function on this forum a workout! I finally got it to install and configured it to backup the third hard drive. I did a manual backup and opened it with view backups. I thought I was good to go, but yesterday when I tried to view the backup again, it went to 82% and slowed significantly. It finally reached 88% at which point I received the error message about the backup service not running. I immediately opened a rdp session into the WHS and checked the services. It showed that the backup service is running. I rebooted the machine and tried to do a second manual backup. It failed. I don't recall the error message, but while trying to cancel out, I locked up Vista. I had to resort to the power button.

I rebooted into XP Pro and opened the WHS console. I could view the first backup from there, so it must be an issue in Vista 64-bit.

Some people have had success by reinstalling the connector software, so I uninstalled the connector. I then spent several hours trying to reinstall the connector. I kept getting the message that this software is not compatable with 64-bit. I finally turned off the firewall and it installed (even after briefly displaying the not 64-bit compatable message). I then did a second manual backup. It would not open either.

I went to backup cleanup and deleted all of the backups and then did another backup. I could view this one.

Just now I opened and successfully viewed that same backup from within Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

I am guessing that changing drivers or hardware may be what my problem was, but you are supposed to be able to restore to different hardware.

I have also observed that when I can't open a specific backup, it will not open any subsequent backup, while I can still open prior backups.
    Friday, January 2, 2009 7:39 PM
  • I started having the backup/restore stuck problem about a week ago.

I discovered that if a backup gets stuck on one system, all other systems on the LAN are unable to backup as well.
    View restore from another system gets stuck at around 81% as well.

I searched for "stuck" in the "FAQ & Known Issue" section. The only thing I could find was "Removing a disk from the server during backups is unreliable" despite finding many many references related to this issue on the web.

I suppose my immediate action is to disable backup from the system that is causing the backup to get stuck.
    My follow up question is, can I fix this issue without invalidating my existing backups?

Saturday, January 3, 2009 5:45 AM
  • yukit said:

I started having the backup/restore stuck problem about a week ago.

I discovered that if a backup gets stuck on one system, all other systems on the LAN are unable to backup as well.
    View restore from another system gets stuck at around 81% as well.

I searched for "stuck" in the "FAQ & Known Issue" section. The only thing I could find was "Removing a disk from the server during backups is unreliable" despite finding many many references related to this issue on the web.

I suppose my immediate action is to disable backup from the system that is causing the backup to get stuck.
    My follow up question is, can I fix this issue without invalidating my existing backups?

I don't believe there is an answer to your follow up question.  It may be up to you to test it out.  One possible answer is to simply wait until Microsoft fixes the problem.  Hopefully we'll get an announcement from Lara when it is fixed (rather than have it be a stealth fix).

If you open up feedback on Connect, Microsoft has been pretty good at following up with this particular issue (it is important after all).

When you say 'that if a backup gets stuck on one system' do you mean stuck using the single file restore or stuck performing the actual backup?  If it's the latter if could provide a clue into when the backup database starts having the stuck at 81% issue.

Saturday, January 3, 2009 7:23 PM
  • I have been using WHS successfully for about a year and I too have encountered the "81%" problem.  I came across this thread and thought I'd post my experience.

My issues started with an "Unknown Network Error" during a restore for a hard drive upgrade.  I was surprised as I had done several restores over the past year with the same WHS configuration without any issues.

I then opened the WHS Console and tried to open every backup that I have.  In my case, 7 out of 8 of my computers failed to open with the "Cannot connect to the backup service on the service on the server" error.  In every case there the "opening backup" dialog stopped at 81%.

I googled the error and tried a lot of different troubleshooting techniques such as manually uninstalling the virtual driver but none worked.  I tried to restore them from different clients (Vista 32 bit and XP Home) and always received the same error. 

Fortunately I have not lost any data but this is a little scary as WHS gave no indiciation that there was a problem but right now I have zero recoverable backups across 7 computers.

Also, as everything was working correctly for 10+ months and these 81% messages have started showing up with a pretty high frequency in the last 30 days I suspect there might be a more systematic problem here.  Note that I didn't know I had a problem until I tried to view a backup so there might be more cases of this out there.

I'm going to use the WHS Toolkit to blow away my entire backup database.  Some others have indicated this will fix the problem.  As most of my backups are non-recoverable it doesn't seem like that drastic of a step.  I'll report back what I find out.

Thanks,

Ed.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 11:09 PM
  • An update to yesterday's post, after several more hours of troubleshooting and research, I finally gave up and blew away the backup database losing all the backups to that point (most of which would not open anyway).

I followed the instructions here:

http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/70348c16-d900-4d43-b7e9-e6c047c4c431/

(NOTE: you will lose all backups)
    1) Exit then uninstall the connector sw on each client PC
    2) RDP to the desktop and run the Windows Home Server Console
    3) In the computers and backups section, remove the client(s)
    4) Open Windows Explorer and navigate to D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}
    5) Manually delete all files
    6) Reboot WHS (Note: I skipped this step).
    7) Log back into the WHS Console and select Settings - Backups then run "Cleanup Now"
    8) Navigate to \\YOURSERVER\Software\Home Server Connector Software
    9) Run setup.exe to reinstall the connector software
    10) From the connector console select Configure Backup for each client installed.

Afterwards I started running manual backups and tested each by opening them up.  Everything worked fine.  I was then able to restore one of my PCs using the WHS Restore CD, which is what started this whole process.  The restore finished successfully.  Fortunately I didn't lose any data, I was running restore for a hard drive upgrade.

WHS is a fantastic product when it works.  I hope that these reliability issues are addressed soon. 

Sunday, January 25, 2009 7:48 PM
  • The situation is this, I had Windows XP Pro and backed that up to my WHS server. I formatted all my drives in my XP machine and installed Windows 7 beta. Now I am trying to restore single files, I am getting this error message.

I tried uninstalling the drive in the device manager - storage volume -> generic drive - and rebooting my machine (and the WHS machine) but still no luck. This advice is from the other post: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/36c50175-91c6-48da-974f-150bb820a6a3/?ffpr=0

It used to get stuck @ 81% but it doesn't any more. It goes all the way to 97%, but then gives me the same error.

Anyone found any fixes to this in Windows 7 beta?

Thanks.
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 5:18 AM
  • Similar issue here.  Running Win7 and am trying to access files that were part of a backup from one of my Vista backups.  Get to 81% and it dies.  I *need* to access these backups; missing key family pics and this is my only option.  What's the fix, please?????

Sunday, March 1, 2009 7:21 AM
  • marcamillion said:

Anyone found any fixes to this in Windows 7 beta?

Thanks.

Please try and restore the files on a non Windows 7 beta machine (Vista or XP) on a server patched with the Feb QFE.  If you are running a Windows 7 build later than 7000 and you cannot restore, please file a bug on Connect

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 4:16 PM
  • Please try a SFR on a non Windows 7 machine with a server that is patched with the Feb QFE. While I understand the desire to test Windows 7, it is still in beta.

If you cannot do a SFR restore on XP or Vista, please file a bug on Connect. We will need to examine your database for errors.

Thank you
    Windows Home Server
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 4:21 PM
  • Please try a SFR on a non Windows 7 machine with a server that is patched with the Feb QFE. While I understand the desire to test Windows 7, it is still in beta.

If you cannot do a SFR restore on XP or Vista, please file a bug on Connect. We will need to examine your database for errors.

Thank you
    Windows Home Server
    I can confirm the same issue happens to me on both Vista and Windows 7 RC1 systems.  I have the same problem on about 8.5 of my 10 backed up systems. (A couple systems are OK and some drives work on others while others do not). The problems seems to follow the backups, a system that fails a single file restore on my Vista Ultimate system also fails on a Windows 7 RC1 candidate, while backups I can open on the Vista system will also open on Windows 7.

I have applied all the available updates through Windows Update and have updated the connector software, all with no improvement.

My version numbers are all older than reported by some post although I have automatic updates and have also done "update now":

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1967.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1967.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1967.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1967.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1967.0

I did try a full restore on one of the failing systems, it worked but had one error in restoring one of the files, a 4+ Gb virtual machine.

I have uploaded my logs as follows: Server 652159461, Client 652160651.

This is a big deal for me, I really need access to single file restore to work again and I do not want to lose the year of more of backups I have saved.

I filed validation comments on a few of the bug reports currently open on this issue.

Regards,
    Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Monday, June 15, 2009 2:25 AM
  • I can confirm the same issue happens to me on both Vista and Windows 7 RC1 systems.  I have the same problem on about 8.5 of my 10 backed up systems. (A couple systems are OK and some drives work on others while others do not). The problems seems to follow the backups, a system that fails a single file restore on my Vista Ultimate system also fails on a Windows 7 RC1 candidate, while backups I can open on the Vista system will also open on Windows 7.

I have applied all the available updates through Windows Update and have updated the connector software, all with no improvement.

My version numbers are all older than reported by some post although I have automatic updates and have also done "update now":

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1967.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1967.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1967.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1967.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1967.0

I did try a full restore on one of the failing systems, it worked but had one error in restoring one of the files, a 4+ Gb virtual machine.

I have uploaded my logs as follows: Server 652159461, Client 652160651.

This is a big deal for me, I really need access to single file restore to work again and I do not want to lose the year of more of backups I have saved.

I filed validation comments on a few of the bug reports currently open on this issue.

Regards,

Please uninstall the beta of Power Pack 2 and run Windows Update to bring the server current to the RTW version of Power Pack 2. The server will not update to RTW as long as the beta version of Power Pack 2 is installed.

If this still repros after updating to the RTW of PP2 , please file a bug in addition to submitting new cabs.

Thank you.

Windows Home Server
    Monday, June 15, 2009 5:06 AM
  • Please uninstall the beta of Power Pack 2 and run Windows Update to bring the server current to the RTW version of Power Pack 2. The server will not update to RTW as long as the beta version of Power Pack 2 is installed.

If this still repros after updating to the RTW of PP2 , please file a bug in addition to submitting new cabs.

Thank you.

Windows Home Server

THANKS!   I  have been fighting this for a couple weeks and that was the problem.  I had the beta version of PP2 and installing the real thing corrected the issue.  I can now open the previously broken backups.

Regards,

Monday, June 15, 2009 5:39 AM
  • I had a drive failure yesterday on one of my laptops and I now have this issue as well.  Tried the fix to the 79% problem but nothing changed.

Both my machines that I tested on are windows 7 (ultimate 64 and home 32) but the WHS version when the backup was created was pre-release PP1.  It is now updated to PP3 but I can't recover the backup or any files.

Any new status?
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 1:26 PM
  • I have the same problem as many people.  Backups of Windows 7 (ultimate and Pro), XP Pro, and Vista Home are not accessible.  They stop loading at 81%.   Interestingly, at that time, on my Win 7 Pro, I get the following error in the event log when I try to do this:

Source:Bitlocker-driver
    eventid: 2460

Encrypted volume check: Volume information on Z: cannot be read.

I am not running bitlocker.

Any help?

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 7:18 PM
  • It's 4th June 2010  - Restore from backup stuck at 81% 

I am having the same problem. Just installed a 1.5TB drive on client computer. machine hung. Deleted the all back ups for the client. Backed up OK. But cannot restore.. machine hangs/freezes..

Running XP Pro on clients.

Is there a solution yet? after 2 years?

What to do?

Friday, June 4, 2010 6:08 PM
  • It's 4th June 2010  - Restore from backup stuck at 81% 

I am having the same problem. Just installed a 1.5TB drive on client computer. machine hung. Deleted the all back ups for the client. Backed up OK. But cannot restore.. machine hangs/freezes..

Running XP Pro on clients.

Is there a solution yet? after 2 years?

What to do?

I also cannot recover from backups. Some clients stall and hang at 81%... others display "Cannot mount the backup"... all clients are XP PRO.

I have erased all backup files... done the repair... same problem...

Is this list still being monitiored?

Any suggestions?

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 12:02 PM
  • I'm having this 81% problem and I'm very disturbed to see that there is no resolution to this problem that has impacted many people.  

Microsoft... please respond with a fix or workaround.

Monday, August 16, 2010 4:05 AM
  • Hello MS??? Having the same problem here, 81%, need those files....why I bought a BACKUP SERVER!!!
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 7:39 PM
  • This forum is mostly volunteers - you won't get actual MS engineers to look at it until you put a bug report up on Microsoft Connect.
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 10:20 PM
  • And here we are three years on and nobody, but nobody has an answer to this issue.  Quite appalling.
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 9:48 AM
  • The suggestion from Laura Jones Monday, June 15, 2009 5:06 AM solved the issue for me.  Read the entirer thread, there are several options.  My problem turned out to be related to a beta version of PP2 that was blobking updates of the real thing.
    Saturday, June 25, 2011 5:29 PM