none
Need Product Key to reinstall Windows Vista.

Question

• About two years ago I purchased a HP Laptop from Office Depot for my daughter to use while in college. The Hard Drive crashed and all was lost. I purchased a new Hard Drive for the Laptop and I am trying to reinstall Widows Vista Basic 32b. I have the update disk but the installation requires a Product Key. I looked on the bottom..., where the battery is, and the Prod Key is nowhere to be found. I know that companies sometime purchase blocks of licenses and never list them with the computers they sell. I have s/n, p/n, model #, etc. but no Product Key.

Is there any hope?

Friday, August 19, 2011 1:04 PM

Answers

• "Cedit" wrote in message news:72ee8bf7-57a0-48f6-b572-7aca511ce185...

About two years ago I purchased a HP Laptop from Office Depot for my daughter to use while in college. The Hard Drive crashed and all was lost. I purchased a new Hard Drive for the Laptop and I am trying to reinstall Widows Vista Basic 32b. I have the update disk but the installation requires a Product Key. I looked on the bottom..., where the battery is, and the Prod Key is nowhere to be found. I know that companies sometime purchase blocks of licenses and never list them with the computers they sell. I have s/n, p/n, model #, etc. but no Product Key.

Is there any hope?

If you use the manufacturer’s Recovery System (you can order the disks from HP) you will not need your own Key – it comes with the HP Key embedded, along with the necessary certificates to  be able to self-activate.

You say you are using an ‘update’ disk – please give details.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Friday, August 19, 2011 1:22 PM