USB RAID RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

This is my first post ever.  Please be kind.  I did try to search for this before I posted.

I have been working on a computer with small SCSI hard drives and not wanting to spend the money for larger drives.  I have added external USB hard drives for the storage I need.  I am trying to use the backup feature to backup one drive to the other.  This feature creates a backup file on the second drive, which is good to restore, but I want a current copy being updated all the time.  I am able to watch movies without any problems, so the USB is fast enough for me.  I know that I will not be able to have hardware RAID, but software will be fine for now.  Maybe someone has a better idea.  Please let me know.  Thank you.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 12:56 PM

All replies

• Otis the only way I have been able to find to do this would be by using and external cabinet.  Here is a link to one like I am talking about: www.cooldrives.com/usb-raid-enclosure-dual-drive-ide.html

BOB
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 7:13 PM
  • Bob,

Thank you, I will keep the link you gave me.  I was hoping for something like RAID 1 not O and not in one box.  I have been looking at WHS more and it does not support anything as formal as RAID, but I can have backed up folders. Still would be nice if it had a software RAID built in.  Maybe somewhere I will find a USB card that could do what I want.

Thank you for your time and help.

Otis

Friday, June 22, 2007 12:47 AM
  • Otis, Instead of having a Raid setup, you would be better just adding your extra disks to the WHS' storage pool and allowing the inbuilt system to take care of duplication.

Colin

Friday, June 22, 2007 4:57 PM
  • I was searching for an external box for different scenarios..

• Add storage for WHS via USB
    • Add storage for workstations, but beeing secure (RAID5)

here we go, sounds interesting...

textsnip follows... please read full information on the link AluBoxDuo LAN

Combine 2 harddisks!**
    Create 1 big harddisk with 2 harddisks**
    Break the Terra barrier affordably and easily**
    Use as 2 harddisk or aggregated as 1**
    Mount them as Mirror, Stripe / RAID 0, 1**
    Up to 8 harddisk can be aggregated / mirrored / striped
    Combine with more Alubox LAN or AluBoxDuo LAN for RAID 5 (3 to 8 HDD)

** NOTE : to use the features of combining 2 harddisks within the 1 AluBoxDuo LAN, please ensure NDAS driver software ver 3.11 or later is installed.

Thursday, June 28, 2007 8:14 PM