Lost Files after server reinstallation. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I need your help badly here. I did a server reinstal( due to BSOD) and now i cannot see some of my pictures even though the folders are there. This is what happen.

I have a custom built system with 3 HDD. Before the system crashed this was my configuration.

WD 250 GB- system
    Hitachi-500 Data
    WD -1TB- Data

I removed the WD 250 GB system and replaced with a WD 500GB. Then i rebooted the server and was given the option to resintal the server which i did.Installation went fine and i updated the system with all latest updates. Then i was given a message ..i dont remember correctly saying that it need to do something to the back ups. I accepted and continue. The server was up and i can now see all my folders everything.

However when i click on some folders...there is nothing there....EMPTY....Stupidly i dont have a backup of those files. I am mostly worried about my 8yr old son pictures( all his pictures since birth).

CAn someone please help me on any way to recover those files!!! PLEASE!!!!

thanks

Pritam

Saturday, May 7, 2011 10:42 PM

All replies

• If you had duplication turned on for these folder, then your files are still there. Sometimes, it takes a while before tombstones are rebuild. If not, then you might have a chance by hooking your drives to another computer. You might have to choose the option to show hidden files and directories, since there are some hidden files and directory. Someone else might be able to give you the exact place where to look for your files.

Good luck,

Klode

Saturday, May 7, 2011 11:15 PM
  • If they don't just reappear as suggested, I suspect they are on the original WD 250GB system disk. WHS only uses 20GB for itself and then allocates the remaining space to storage. If the files were not duplicated (and they should have been) then you can probably recover them by just connecting that drive to another computer - don't attach it to the server before looking at what's available via another computer.
    Monday, May 9, 2011 12:45 PM
  • Thanks all.... will try that and post later on.

Monday, May 9, 2011 3:01 PM