Base Language vs MUI RRS feed

• Question

• I haven't found any articles with detailed information on base language and MUI and their differences.
    What should I consider when deciding if MUI will work for my organization (with English as base language and JP as MUI) or whether I need to have 2 completely different installations with different base languages?

Thanks.
    RAngel
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 5:14 AM

Answers

• Hi

you can install the MUI-packs in order to have other languages available, than the base language of the system.
    If you install the Japanese MUI-pack, your users are available to switch the language to Japanese instead of English.
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, March 11, 2010 4:00 PM
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 8:08 AM

All replies

• Hi

you can install the MUI-packs in order to have other languages available, than the base language of the system.
    If you install the Japanese MUI-pack, your users are available to switch the language to Japanese instead of English.
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, March 11, 2010 4:00 PM
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 8:08 AM
  • Hi

Thank you. I understand that installing MUI for Japanese will allow our customers to switch to Japaneses.
    But I would like to understand the differences between base language and MUI at a development and system customization level to ensure that we are making the right choice for our organization.

Thanks.
    RAngel
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 7:29 PM
  • Hi,

all customizations can only be done in the base language of the system. After you have created your entities, attributes, ... you can export all labels and translate them for the languages which you have installed with the language packs.

Is this what you are asking for? If not, please explain your question a little bit more.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 9:12 AM
  • Thank you for being patient :).

Let me explain the reason this question came up.

We have 2 CRM 3.0 installations - EN and JP. The JP installation had additional 'YOMI' fields as part of the installation which was not part of the EN installation. Note that these are not custom fields but were available as part of the JP installation and not in the EN installation.

So the question is, are there any such differences between the different installations in CRM 4.0.
    Or is it that instead of having an option to pick the base language different ISOs have been provided for diffrent base languages but the core 'out of the box' functionality(including customizations) is the same across all base languages.

I hope this makes my question clearer.

Thanks again.
    RAngel
    Friday, March 12, 2010 5:09 PM
  • Dynamics CRM 3 does not have the multi language functionality as Dynamics CRM 4. Thats the reason, why your systems are different. 

With CRM 4, the base system is the same for all language versions. None of them has more or less customization features than any other. The 'yomi' fields which you have mentioned are standard fields in version 4 (there is alse an IME-option for text fields) in all base languages.

To answer your question: the core functionality is the same for all base languages. The language packs only provide new languages, not any features.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 7:17 PM