none
Where to get help RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    Sorry if this is a bit off topic...

These forums are excellent for help with specific issues, but I'm at the stage I could do with getting someone in to look through my code & propose "better ways" of doing things. Being self taught I'm sure I have a lot of "workarounds" because I don't know the "proper" way.

How would I go about finding someone to do this for me? The application is VB.net with SQL server. I'm in the UK - the Midlands.

Thanks
    • Moved by Linda Liu Wednesday, July 1, 2009 10:36 AM off topic issue (From:Windows Forms General)
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 10:36 AM

All replies

• Have you already had the cops (FX and Style) look at your code?
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 12:02 PM
  • Have you already had the cops (FX and Style) look at your code?

Sorry? I don't know what you mean.
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 1:20 PM
  • Google "fxcop" or "stylecop".  Take the first hit.

Hans Passant.
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 2:13 PM
  • Ok thanks have now downloaded it - just 15,000 issues to look at!
    However most of them seem irrelevant - such as using "ds" instead of "DS"

But the real issue I have is that there are many "right" ways to do things, I'm pretty sure in a lot of cases I haven't picked the "best" way, because of my lack of knowledge.
    It would still be my preference to hire someone in to look through the code & show me where/how I should make changes - but I have no idea how/where to start looking for someone
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 4:13 PM
  • Hmya, be careful about that.  That's a judgment call in itself to call something irrelevant.  It wasn't irrelevant to whomever added the check to the code.  The reasoning behind the rulez is well documented, somewhere.

You can hire somebody through a headhunter or consulting agency.  Look at job sites like dice.com if you don't know any, they are always looking to hire somebody.

Hans Passant.
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 5:35 PM