Spatial Aggregate Functions RRS feed

• Question

• I'm planning on taking the 70-461 SQL Server certification exam soon, and have a question on where to find material on some of the exam content.

I've already been through the Microsoft Press materials and practice exams and I cannot find anything on spatial aggregate functions. I've consulted BOL but all they contain is syntax. There are no real "descriptions" of what each does or in what context you would use one over another.

Can someone point me to any kind of material that provides more than just a dictionary definition of these functions? Something that provides some kind of context would be superb!

Thanks in advance!

A. M. Robinson

Monday, October 14, 2013 7:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• I think your best bet would be this book from Apress and its associated sample code:

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Spatial-SQL-Server-2012/dp/1430234911

I know - buying a book for a simple exam topic seems wasteful but, as you found, there just isn't many resources for this.

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Monday, October 14, 2013 10:34 PM
    Answerer
  • There is quite a lot of material available on the web (blogs, articles etc).  All you need to do is a search for SQL Server Spatial Aggregate Functions

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:54 AM
  • I've tried that and what I  come up with are articles...but the articles I find are meant for those who have already worked with spatial aggregate functions. I have really found nothing written with the target audience being someone who has never touched, tasted, or seen spatial aggregate functions...the examples are all fairly technical - at least those that I've come across.

A. M. Robinson

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 3:22 AM
  • Take a look at this article:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/edkatibah/archive/2011/04/27/spatial-aggregates-in-sql-server-denali.aspx

It provides visual examples of what the spatial aggregates do (along with the SQL statements that achieve those results).

• Marked as answer by ansonee Tuesday, October 15, 2013 5:25 PM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 6:20 AM
  • I suspect you didn't notice A.M. Robinson's comment at the bottom of the page that you just recommended.

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 6:36 AM
    Answerer
  • I think I'm beginning to understand this a little better...I've just never worked with geography/geometry types before, so it's all very new to me!

Thanks for all the input!!

A. M. Robinson

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 5:24 PM