Can't install connector software on one XP machine. RRS feed

• Question

• It works just fine on my laptop and both machines are running XP Home SP2.  The connector software had previously been on my desktop but I uninstalled and reinstalled because I was getting "grayed out" in the backup tab and could not configure or perform backups.

I've tried all the things I can find online, pinged the server by name, accessed the default web page and certificate text.  I have the proper ports listed as firewall exceptions, registered the volume shadow dlls, I can map the shared directories and also tried the installation from the software folder with the same failed result.

After I enter the server password, the dialog indicates we've "joined the home server", but failed at configuring the backup and says it can't connect and that I should make sure the server is powered up.  My laptop, meanwhile, reports a healthy network and has an up-to-date backup living on the server.  My wife is ready to leave me I've spent so much time on this; she feels about me about like I feel about Microsoft right now.  I'm tired, cranky, and worked on this p.o.s. 'til 6am last night.  I'm impressed with how many of you who post on here are generally able to keep your cool and your manners while I'm ready to manifest Tourette's.

I have run the TalQ process on both the server (which did not give me the opportunity to enter a 'handle') and the desktop.  The only real issue I've seen with the server is that WINLOGON consistently encounters and error and must close.  It does not seem to affect access or backups from my laptop.  The desktop where I have the problems gave me CAB#454494626.

I also have an XP Pro SP2 machine on which I've just installed the Connector from \\homeserver\software\ without a hitch. 

I've run a Win XP "Repair" process from my XP CD on the desktop (and I love how this ingenious MS installer will navigate you right to comsnap.dl_ and then say it can't find or copy it).  This time there were just a few files it missed like that and I edited the Registry Keys and reinstalled COM+ in Add Programs/Windows Components per instructions I found in 'KB' articles.  How many of those hotfix articles are there?

I'm out of gas and ideas.
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 3:51 AM

Answers

• Well, a light went on during my last post where I mentioned that my laptop had SP3 (v3264).  I decided to give it one last shot , downloaded SP3 RC2, and installed it on the problem machine.  Connector software installed finally and seems to be working.

Now I have one critical remaining question that I really need a simple, but definitive yes or no answer to:

If I only use Explorer and xcopy to copy files to the shares on the server, don't manipulate those files while on the server, the server has five HDDS (1 IDE 4 SATA), and I don't use WHS backups, can I be assured the WHS file corruption bug won't affect me?  This is critical because backing up the data is critical and is the only real purpose for which I've built the WHS machine.  The alternative at this point is Linux with which I have no experience.
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 6:24 PM

All replies

• I've read through several threads that have been replied to and can't seem to decipher a central theme as to why this one has generated no response.  Did I not provide pertinent specific information?  Did I insult someone?  If so, I apologize.

I'm out of ideas so I either get some kind of advice or give up on WHS and try my best to get a refund.  I thought MS had finally come up with a product that was worth buying.  Once again I've gotten suckered into paying for the right to be a Beta tester on a Microsoft product not truly ready for market.  This is supposed to be my BACKUP solution.  This is supposed to make my data SAFE and SECURE.

Anyone ... ?
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 12:41 AM
  • You likely have DNS configuration issues on your home network.  There have been workarounds suggested in the forums here for using a Host file on the PC to get around DNS not functioning properly in your home environment

Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:08 AM
  •  T. Headrick wrote:
    You likely have DNS configuration issues on your home network.  There have been workarounds suggested in the forums here for using a Host file on the PC to get around DNS not functioning properly in your home environment

I believe I found one of those posts which involved testing DNS by pinging the WHS by <servername> rather than IP.  It worked just fine from every PC in the house.  Three XP PCs and two Macs.  I also did all the browser tests using http://servername/ and https://servername/ links.  They worked just fine from the problem PC. It doesn't seem to be a DNS issue from that standpoint.

I have four HDDs in my WHS and after reading Update on KB #946676 - Data Corruption Bug and the responses, I'm concerned whether I should invest the effort to resolve this Connector issue anyway. 

I do not edit or work with the files on the WHS.  I only copy to shares using OSX Finder, Windows Explorer or xcopy in a batch file.  Can I be ASSURED I will not have data corruption issues from this known bug?  My wife's pro photography catalog is being backed up this way and it is IMPORTANT and irreplaceable.

Thanks.
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 2:01 AM
  • I have also checked out the forum for all given solutions and tried them all out.
    The only solutions i have found and reason is MS seems to have several installation versions of XP and few of them won't work with WHS.
    My pc wich won't connect in anny way to WHS i installed vista on it and all problems concerning Connector software to WHS are solved.
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:21 PM
  • ManadoFrits, you are a brave soul installing two MS operating systems that were clearly rolled out before they were ready.  Vista I knew about.  I got suckered by WHS. 

I use some software that forces me to remain with XP for the time being, for which I am grateful.  XP is the devil I know.  My big complaint with XP is that the installation, repair, service packs, and hotfixes create such a messy patchwork that the best of us often can't figure it.   It's a friggin' mess and it's the same road I see Vista going down.  I'm not the only one who has spent toubleshooting time and watched the clock go from 11pm to 4am while seeming to go nowhere but backwards.  This, on the system that is arguably the best MS has ever produced.

Make fun of OS X with their annually issuing 10.3, 10.4, 10.5, but you know what you are getting and I'd prefer that approach to the *** I'm dealing with maintaining/reinstalling my OS from a vintage 2002 CD.  I have XP SP1 CD.  I have a slipstreamed XP SP2 CD made from the original, and from which I did the recent repair install.  I have SP3 RC on my laptop which does work with WHS.  Is there a RIGHT way to work with XP installations or repairs?  The most useful answers I find are oddly all on non-MS web sites.

The reason my side of this conversation focuses so much on XP over WHS is that I think in my case WHS is NOT THE PROBLEM.  I can't get the Connector software to install on one of three XP machines. 

I'm still waiting for some kind of helpful response although I do know I'm not alone.  I sent in my TalQ dump and provided the CAB#.  Should I expect that to elicit some kind of comment from a WHS Team member, eventually?

Also still looking for the answer to this question:

I do not edit or work with the files on the WHS.  I only copy to shares using OSX Finder, Windows Explorer or xcopy in a batch file.  Can I be ASSURED I will not have data corruption issues from this known bug?

Thursday, March 20, 2008 4:14 PM
  •  booberandpuzz wrote:

I'm still waiting for some kind of helpful response although I do know I'm not alone.  I sent in my TalQ dump and provided the CAB#.  Should I expect that to elicit some kind of comment from a WHS Team member, eventually?

If I had to guess, I would guess that all of the WHS resources are currently working on the fix for the corruption bug and if its nothing to do with that bug at the moment then it wont be a high priority until the fix is released.

Andrew

Thursday, March 20, 2008 4:18 PM
  • Well, a light went on during my last post where I mentioned that my laptop had SP3 (v3264).  I decided to give it one last shot , downloaded SP3 RC2, and installed it on the problem machine.  Connector software installed finally and seems to be working.

Now I have one critical remaining question that I really need a simple, but definitive yes or no answer to:

If I only use Explorer and xcopy to copy files to the shares on the server, don't manipulate those files while on the server, the server has five HDDS (1 IDE 4 SATA), and I don't use WHS backups, can I be assured the WHS file corruption bug won't affect me?  This is critical because backing up the data is critical and is the only real purpose for which I've built the WHS machine.  The alternative at this point is Linux with which I have no experience.
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 6:24 PM
  • Well I've asked here about the corruption bug three times and received no reply.  Since this thread was begun under the Connector install problem, I'm going to mark my own post as the answer since installing SP3 RC2 solved that issue.  I'm starting another thread seeking an answer to what I still think is a fairly simple question.

I'm a bit disaappointed that the only "real" response to this thread seemed like a typical canned answer about DNS that completely ignored the specific info provided about the troubleshooting already performed before the request for help.

I don't mind commenting that being dissappointed yet again in a MS product or service does not come as a surprise.  For just a short happy while, I had been pleasantly surprised that "MS has finally gotten one right with WHS."  In the end, I rated WHS on Newegg two stars only because I acknowledge that the concept is excellent.  The execution, once again, is compromised by that segment of MS culture that just drives everything to market too soon.  I really have some animosity towards those people who have been, and will continue to be, the ruination of MS and their already marginalized reputation.  I think they've undermined some really excellent work over the years.
    Friday, March 21, 2008 7:23 PM