Help please...120 day eval expiring after 30 - yes I searched the forums RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, I just spent almost an hour being bounced around by Microsoft on every one of their 800 numbers.   

The problem is that I downloaded and installed the MS 120 day eval of Windows Home Server from the MS website and the windows activation is counting down towards 0 days left.  I have tried activating but since the evaluation does not come with a  liscense key it "cannot" be activated (online or by phone). 

I called the activation telephone number and tried the automated process(failed...invalid activation code...no sh%^!!!), called back in and spoke to someone who said I cannot activate unless I have a key(no sh%^ again!!!).  I explained to them this is a 120 day evaluation so I dont have a key but the activation is only allowing 30 days of the 120 day evalauation and they gave me a support 800 number.  When I spoke to somewhere here they gave me a licence dept 800 number.  When I spoke to them they said since I dont have a license because it is a 120 day eval I need to call the support 800 number.  I called the support 800 number and they said this is a server so I needed to call the server support number.  they transfered me to the server support group who asked if I had windows 2003 or windows 2008 server.  I said neither, it is Windows home server.  They said is it Vista or XP home version.  I said neither it is Windows home server.  She said she needs to know what version of windows before she can assist further.  I told her it is Windows home server.  She said 2003 server or 2008 server.  I said Windows home server.  She finally said she opened a ticket for unknown home server operating system and someone will be contacting me for support in the next few days.  I have a feeling this ticket is going into a black hole and I am not going to get a reponse back from anyone.

Does anyone know how to get the activation countdown to stop so I can evaluate my copy of "Windows Home server" for the 120 days as advertised.  It isnt worth installing an evalation if it is only valid for 30 days.

Hey Microsoft......suprise!!!! you have a new OS.  Its called Windows Home Server.  Might want to resend company memo from Q4 2007.

Friday, January 30, 2009 1:05 AM

Answers

• The instructions for getting a key are on the download page:

"4. To use the Evaluation Edition for the full 120-day period, you need to register at the Windows Home Server Connect site and acquire a product key for the Windows Home Server Evaluation Edition software. "

Friday, January 30, 2009 3:35 AM

All replies

• You should have made sure you had your key before you installed:

Try here:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ProductKeys

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -- Thomas Paine
    Friday, January 30, 2009 2:05 AM
  • The instructions for getting a key are on the download page:

"4. To use the Evaluation Edition for the full 120-day period, you need to register at the Windows Home Server Connect site and acquire a product key for the Windows Home Server Evaluation Edition software. "

Friday, January 30, 2009 3:35 AM
  • Once it expires what does MS Charge for it?
    Friday, January 30, 2009 3:37 AM
  • If you like the product you can buy a system builder package and install it. System builder packages are not available directly from Microsoft, but can be obtained from e.g. Newegg and Amazon, and similar retailers.

Once you have the system builder package, you will need to perform a server reinstallation. There is a time bomb in the operating system which is not tied to the product key, and cannot be disabled other than by reinstallation.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, January 30, 2009 12:46 PM
  • S_M_E and brubber.....THANKS!!!!!!

I completely overlooked that during the install and now all is good.  Let the evaluation begin...

Friday, January 30, 2009 7:21 PM
  • I had the same nightmare , order the 120 day eval kit and installed on a old pc. The specs of the pc where not very good and the server was sluggish at best . Built a new system and reinstalled on it and went through the wringer trying to get a new code .

From the activation support person to tech support who put me off to pro support (who ask for a credit card to bill me) , back to tech support who sent me to server support . 

Same stupid respones "what OS are you running "  ,, "windows home server " ,,"oh is that vista or Xp" , "neither its windows home server" oh ok "is that server 2003 or server 2008" , "neither its WINDOWSHOME SERVER" . "Are you sure its made by Microsoft " .  And then "sorry you can not activate it more than once" , I then explained that in the terms it says I can install it as many times as I want to eval it . And then I was transfered back to pro support who wanted again to charge me just to talk to them .

two hours latter I went looking and finaly got a new key on the Microsoft site .Funny thing is I was all set to buy it anyway but needed one more week to make sure , but now that I went through this hassle I am going to run out the eval time .

Some needs to tell the outsourced support group overseas that there is a product called WINDOWS HOME SERVER .

Friday, January 30, 2009 11:00 PM
  • dustoff256, there is no support for Windows Home Server, except these forums and the manufacturer of your server. In the case of a home-built server, the manufacturer is you. This is because it's not a retail product; you can't go down to Best Buy and purchase the software in a pretty shrink-wrapped box.

So no, Microsoft's free support probably doesn't know much about it, because they don't support it...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 1:28 AM