none
Designer generated sync database with visual studio 2010, SQL Compact Edition SP2, Sync Framework 2.0- Exception: The specified change tracking operation is not supported. RRS feed

• Question

• I generated and database using the designer and then try and debug the application, I get this error on the first Synchronize().
    The specified change tracking operation is not supported. To carry out this operation on the table, disable the change tracking on the table, and enable the change tracking.

The workaround so far is not to deploy the generated database and let Synchronize create is from scratch. I used to be able to use the generated database using visual studio 2008.

I tried disabling and enable SqlCeChangeTracking, however that only has the same affect as creating the the database from scratch.

Is there a way get the designer generated database to work like it used to in visual studio 2008.

Thanks in advance.

Terry
    Monday, April 26, 2010 9:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• have you tried installing Sync Framework 1.0 SP1 ? (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=b4f54dd0-5b66-4043-9b50-b12604bfcf35)

The VS 2010 designer still uses v1. SQL Compact SP2 exposes the change tracking API and the Sync Fx V1 SP1 updates Sync Fx to use this API.

Monday, April 26, 2010 11:46 PM
  • Yes I tried it with Sync Framework 1.0 SP1. And this works.  I was hoping to get working with Sync Framework 2.0 as I can include it in the ClickOnce deployment.

Thanks,

Terry

Monday, April 26, 2010 11:55 PM
  • afaik, the designer and the offline providers are V1 stuff, peer-to-peer/collaboration providers are the v2 stuff.
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:11 AM
  • Cool, I'll rollback to V1 and sort out the clickonce deployment of Sync Framework 1.0 SP1.

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:22 AM
  • Actually, both Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.SQLServerCe from V1 and V2 have the SQLCeClientSyncProvider provider. Am thinking you're getting the error referencing the V2 assemblies because maybe V2 hasnt been updated to work with SQLCompact SP2, whereas V1 has been updated with SP1.

Take note though that in V1, there are separate assemblies for use by Devices / Compact Framework (Synchronization Services for ADO.NET (Devices)).

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:40 AM
  • Yes, that sounds more like the issue.  I would like to use V2 since it works with Azure.  As for the issue, the work around to let the sync framework create the database from scratch and not deploy the designer generated one.  I suppose I can only wait till V2 supports SQLCompact SP2.

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:46 AM
  • As for the issue, the work around to let the sync framework create the database from scratch and not deploy the designer generated one.

Terry, I wonder how exactly you achieve that? I only know how to add Sync Framework to the project using VS2010 Wizard and always end up with the local .sdf file. How do I make Sync Framework to create it from scratch?

I'm hitting the same issue ("“The specified change tracking operation is not supported. To carry out this operation on the table, disable the change tracking on the table, and enable the change tracking.”") and so far even switching to v1 SP1 didn't help. Putting aside the trouble of deploying it with ClickOnce. So I would rather go with 2.0 and make it recreate the local cache from scratch, but I don't know how to achieve that. Any tip?

Thank you!

Konstantin

Saturday, June 19, 2010 12:14 AM
  • Hi Konstantin,

I set the Copy to Output Directory = Do Not Copy on the properties of the file.  If the file has already been copied to the debug directory then you will need to delete it.  Then the database will be created on the initial sync.

As for the ClickOnce, I removed the file under Application Files for deployment. If you want it to get created from scratch by the client side.

Or you can also deploy the created one in ClickOnce, I just copy the created database over the designer generated one  and include the file in the ClickOnce application files when I'm ready to deploy.

I hope that helps.

Cheers

Terry

Thursday, June 24, 2010 9:33 PM
  • Thank you, Terry.  It is working for me using SQL Server 3.5 CE SP2 (SqlServerCe.dll version 3.5.8080.0) and Sync Framework 2.0 (Microsoft.Synchronization.Data.SqlServerCe.dll version 3.0.1578.0).
    Monday, August 16, 2010 8:31 PM