When will we see Sync to Sql Express to Sql Server RRS feed

• Question

• I know there is a sample on codeplex but when will we see a true api inside Visual Studio 2008.  I am needing this for my current project.  Just wondering... Seems like it is moving pretty slow.

Bryan

Monday, January 5, 2009 3:47 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately you are correct that we do have official support for SQL Express as a client with Sync Services for ADO.NET. 

We do however have a SQL Express peer provider that would allow you to do peer-to-peer synchronization between SQL Server databases.  There is a sample of this with the Sync Framework install here:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Microsoft Sync Framework\v1.0\Runtime\ADO.NET\V2.0\Samples

Hopefully that might help as a start until we have the Sync Services for ADO.NET support of SQL Express clients.

Liam

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 5:29 PM
  • I am sorry but I do not have any updates for you on the official support.  I do assume that you have seen the sample on Code Gallery that shows the concept of using SQL Express as a client.

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ProjectName=sync&ReleaseId=1200

Liam

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 4:39 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately you are correct that we do have official support for SQL Express as a client with Sync Services for ADO.NET. 

We do however have a SQL Express peer provider that would allow you to do peer-to-peer synchronization between SQL Server databases.  There is a sample of this with the Sync Framework install here:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Microsoft Sync Framework\v1.0\Runtime\ADO.NET\V2.0\Samples

Hopefully that might help as a start until we have the Sync Services for ADO.NET support of SQL Express clients.

Liam

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 5:29 PM
  • P2P will not work in my case.  I need a hub and spoke solution with the spoke being Sql Express.  Any ETA on the SQL Express provider?

Thanks,

Bryan

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 11:50 PM
  • I pretty much need the exact same thing! Also, any ETA on the Sync Framework 2.0?

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 12:02 PM
  • I am sorry but I do not have any updates for you on the official support.  I do assume that you have seen the sample on Code Gallery that shows the concept of using SQL Express as a client.

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ProjectName=sync&ReleaseId=1200

Liam

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 4:39 PM
  • Me too - I need the exact same thing. I hope MS puts this on the fast-track.

Friday, January 9, 2009 6:25 PM
  • Liam,

Same issue here from last 3-4 months, just waiting on a project to go live with the SQL Express sync support. We have developed our project half way through based on the sql express sync sample but getting stuck with some problem issues which I am sure would get resolved with the final release from MS for sql express sync support.

Pls do give an update as to when this would be available so that we could plan accordingly.

many thanks

Thursday, January 29, 2009 2:17 PM
  • But is there at least plans to enable VS data Cache to use Express? So that dev. community can at least set expectations.

Is there any other ongoing effort related to sync Framework and Express?

Things seem to be out of sync with the synchronization efforts :) Sync framework comprises the guts of production releases of SQL Server 2008 flavors (change Tracking), while at the same time the API is still in CTP phase.
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 6:50 PM
  • Why dont you use the Replication with Sql Server instead of using Sync Services ?
    Sql Server Replication with Sql Server and Sql Server Express works great and is very simple to implement.

It could be a solution for you
    Sébastien Pertus. Bewise
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 9:02 AM