Evaluation period curtailed after CMOS battery replaced RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trialling WHS for about 30 days and it was working well. Today I decided to change a failing CMOS battery on the server motherboard and when I restarted (foolishly without first resetting the system date in the m/b setup) WHS told me the evaluation period has expired and WHS would not start. I rebooted and changed the date in m/b setup but it did not change WHS response - it will not start. I can still access shares over the network but I have lost 3/4 of my evaluation period and want to get it back! Can anyone advise?

Stuart
    Saturday, May 10, 2008 11:22 AM

Answers

• This is fairly common with trial software and is to stop people from just changing the date to keep using the software for free.

The only option you have now is to perform a server reinstallation, and make sure you select server reinstallation during setup or your data will be lost.

You may have to call the Microsoft activation line to reactive the software if it doesnt let you do it.

Andrew

Saturday, May 10, 2008 12:50 PM
  • You will have to reinstall the evaluation software and reactivate to get a full evaluation period. Once the time bomb has been activated, there is no way to deactivate it. Reinstallation is an option in setup; it will be available (in addition to new installation) during the first phase of setup, prior to the first reboot.
    Saturday, May 10, 2008 1:42 PM

All replies

• This is fairly common with trial software and is to stop people from just changing the date to keep using the software for free.

The only option you have now is to perform a server reinstallation, and make sure you select server reinstallation during setup or your data will be lost.

You may have to call the Microsoft activation line to reactive the software if it doesnt let you do it.

Andrew

Saturday, May 10, 2008 12:50 PM
  • You will have to reinstall the evaluation software and reactivate to get a full evaluation period. Once the time bomb has been activated, there is no way to deactivate it. Reinstallation is an option in setup; it will be available (in addition to new installation) during the first phase of setup, prior to the first reboot.
    Saturday, May 10, 2008 1:42 PM
  • Many thanks to both responders. I reinstalled ok but as you remarked, activation was denied because of the previous install. I will have to call the support line to get that sorted out. Also I found I had to reinstall the connector software on each attached PC, which was a pain.

Sunday, May 11, 2008 7:10 PM