Some post WHS re-installation questions... RRS feed

• Question

• I recently had a failing primary drive in my WHS, and thought since I had to do a re-installation to a new hard drive I would go about and upgrade some other components as well. (MB, RAM, Processor, etc...essentially new guts).  The Primary drive was originally on PATA-0 (Master), and 1 320GB Data Drive as a slave on the same channel. I had 4 SATA drives in the data pool as well.

I backed up all my data to external storage (just in case), flipped the system off, and performed the upgrades.  I then realized (duh...) that the new motherboard only had one PATA channel, and before I had 2 (Pri/Slave drives, second channel had DVD-RW).  So, i swapped out the failing PATA Master for a SATA drive, and kept the slave drive and threw it on a PATA channel with the DVD-RW.

I went into BIOS, and set the new SATA HDD that I wanted to be the SYS drive to primary boot device, and #1 in the boot priority list.  I already made sure it was plugged into the SATA-0 port.

Long story shortened, the only hard drives changed in this whole swapfest was the primary drive (PATA) to a new SATA drive.  The rest of the drives stayed the same.  Upon booting off the WHS installation DVD, it only gave me an option for New Installation (Not Server Re-Installation).  I said "bah!" and did some googling.  I read a page where it said you should use a cloning utility to clone your old HDD to your new HDD.  I did so, with no errors in the clone process.  It cloned both the 20GB sys partition, and the remaining DATA partition with no issues.

I decided to just try and boot the system, and while I didn't bluescreen, I did have all sorts of no-fun errors so I figured a re-installation would still be best instead of messing with HAL.  I restarted, booted off the installation DVD, and there was still no server re-installation option!  I said some choice words, then did a new install figuring I had my data backed up just in case of this situation.  Installation went fine, and when I booted to WHS and checked the Server Storage tab it had made my 320GB old PATA slave the SYS/DATA volume!  It wasn't even in the boot priority list, and is slaved to the DVD-RW!

Ultimately I suppose one of my questions is why would it pick the PATA slave to be the system volume when it was not #1 in boot priority?  And could whatever reason it picked this be the reason there was no Server Reinstallation option?  The only logical thing I can think of is that it was seeing the PATA drive as the new master, and therefore it was missing from the existing data pool so it figured it couldn't do a re-installation because it detected a missing data pool drive.  I know I did a lot all at once, but I am kind of freaked out at the prospect that if I hadn't had the opportunity to back up all my data, things may not have gone so well and I would've had to be pulling data manually off the drives.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 12:11 AM

Answers

• I recently had a failing primary drive in my WHS, and thought since I had to do a re-installation to a new hard drive I would go about and upgrade some other components as well. (MB, RAM, Processor, etc...essentially new guts).  The Primary drive was originally on PATA-0 (Master), and 1 320GB Data Drive as a slave on the same channel. I had 4 SATA drives in the data pool as well.

I backed up all my data to external storage (just in case), flipped the system off, and performed the upgrades.  I then realized (duh...) that the new motherboard only had one PATA channel, and before I had 2 (Pri/Slave drives, second channel had DVD-RW).  So, i swapped out the failing PATA Master for a SATA drive, and kept the slave drive and threw it on a PATA channel with the DVD-RW.

I went into BIOS, and set the new SATA HDD that I wanted to be the SYS drive to primary boot device, and #1 in the boot priority list.  I already made sure it was plugged into the SATA-0 port.

Long story shortened, the only hard drives changed in this whole swapfest was the primary drive (PATA) to a new SATA drive.  The rest of the drives stayed the same.  Upon booting off the WHS installation DVD, it only gave me an option for New Installation (Not Server Re-Installation).  I said "bah!" and did some googling.  I read a page where it said you should use a cloning utility to clone your old HDD to your new HDD.

FYI, cloning is not supported.

I did so, with no errors in the clone process.  It cloned both the 20GB sys partition, and the remaining DATA partition with no issues.

I decided to just try and boot the system, and while I didn't bluescreen, I did have all sorts of no-fun errors so I figured a re-installation would still be best instead of messing with HAL.  I restarted, booted off the installation DVD, and there was still no server re-installation option!  I said some choice words, then did a new install figuring I had my data backed up just in case of this situation.  Installation went fine, and when I booted to WHS and checked the Server Storage tab it had made my 320GB old PATA slave the SYS/DATA volume!  It wasn't even in the boot priority list, and is slaved to the DVD-RW!

Ultimately I suppose one of my questions is why would it pick the PATA slave to be the system volume when it was not #1 in boot priority?

There have been other users that have reported the exact same issue.  In those instances, it seems to be that the mobo and/or DVD always wants to install on a PATA drive if there is one available (no matter what the BIOS says).

And could whatever reason it picked this be the reason there was no Server Reinstallation option?

Absolutely.  Did you look at the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen and see which drive was showing as Disk 0?

The only logical thing I can think of is that it was seeing the PATA drive as the new master, and therefore it was missing from the existing data pool so it figured it couldn't do a re-installation because it detected a missing data pool drive.  I know I did a lot all at once, but I am kind of freaked out at the prospect that if I hadn't had the opportunity to back up all my data, things may not have gone so well and I would've had to be pulling data manually off the drives.
    • Marked as answer by Sethar Thursday, April 23, 2009 4:45 PM
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 12:28 AM

All replies

Long story shortened, the only hard drives changed in this whole swapfest was the primary drive (PATA) to a new SATA drive.  The rest of the drives stayed the same.  Upon booting off the WHS installation DVD, it only gave me an option for New Installation (Not Server Re-Installation).  I said "bah!" and did some googling.  I read a page where it said you should use a cloning utility to clone your old HDD to your new HDD.

FYI, cloning is not supported.

I did so, with no errors in the clone process.  It cloned both the 20GB sys partition, and the remaining DATA partition with no issues.

Ultimately I suppose one of my questions is why would it pick the PATA slave to be the system volume when it was not #1 in boot priority?

There have been other users that have reported the exact same issue.  In those instances, it seems to be that the mobo and/or DVD always wants to install on a PATA drive if there is one available (no matter what the BIOS says).

And could whatever reason it picked this be the reason there was no Server Reinstallation option?

Absolutely.  Did you look at the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen and see which drive was showing as Disk 0?

The only logical thing I can think of is that it was seeing the PATA drive as the new master, and therefore it was missing from the existing data pool so it figured it couldn't do a re-installation because it detected a missing data pool drive.  I know I did a lot all at once, but I am kind of freaked out at the prospect that if I hadn't had the opportunity to back up all my data, things may not have gone so well and I would've had to be pulling data manually off the drives.
    • Marked as answer by Sethar Thursday, April 23, 2009 4:45 PM
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 12:28 AM
  • Oddly enough, Disk 0 was reporting as the SATA 200 gigger I wanted to be the primary disk.

Assuming at some point the new primary HDD inevitably fails, and I throw in a SATA drive (no PATA at all) with no other hardware changes...I will likely have a better chance of getting that elusive "Server re-install" option?
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 1:07 AM
  • Oddly enough, Disk 0 was reporting as the SATA 200 gigger I wanted to be the primary disk.

Assuming at some point the new primary HDD inevitably fails, and I throw in a SATA drive (no PATA at all) with no other hardware changes...I will likely have a better chance of getting that elusive "Server re-install" option?
    As long as you supply the drivers for the on-board SATA controller (or switch the SATA ports to IDE mode) and have the primary drive plugged into port 0 on the mobo, you should be able to get Server Reinstallation as an option.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 1:22 AM