none
Forum Spam & Javascript CSS Style hacks RRS feed

Answers

• Yes, tag clouds are hard to clean up as many different threads that fueled the cloud all hae to be found and deleted, so this is hard to do. We are rethinking our tagging and how it is used, so this is another thing for us to understand and consider. Thanks for the report on that ugly css spam hack, I've moved it to this forum and we'll take a look.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Edgar Monday, January 4, 2010 4:01 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:38 AM
    Answerer
  • Both the spam hack and the blacklist tags are expected to be fixed on 12/17 or so.
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 6:38 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• I'll forward this to our support team, we can clean this  up pretty quick. We do have some prevention for spam in place, I think we need to revise it for some of these cases.
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Edgar Monday, November 16, 2009 7:56 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Stephen Edgar Wednesday, November 18, 2009 3:23 AM
    Monday, November 16, 2009 5:15 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Brent,

If you have a close look at the source code of some of the spam they are overriding the CSS of the page and you are left with nothing but the header of the site and the remaining display is empty such as the option to 'Report this' etc ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/netweb/4108019259/ )
    Cheers, Stephen Edgar
    Monday, November 16, 2009 7:55 AM
  • OK, the actual spam messages have been removed yet the entire 'tag cloud' is full of 'tag spam' can you also get rid of all of that.
    Cheers, Stephen Edgar
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 3:24 AM
  • Yes, tag clouds are hard to clean up as many different threads that fueled the cloud all hae to be found and deleted, so this is hard to do. We are rethinking our tagging and how it is used, so this is another thing for us to understand and consider. Thanks for the report on that ugly css spam hack, I've moved it to this forum and we'll take a look.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 6:38 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks, but there is still 'new spam' turning up and the 'tag spam' may have found a way to appear from numerous forums but it still needs to be purged as soon as possible.

Considering the actual forum that triggered this discussion off 'Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange Server' it is not a good look for the security teams at Microsoft to have any of this appearing and with potential clients looking to the TechNet forums on how and what 'other' customers are finding with the new Forefront products to be greated with a 'tag cloud' like that I would expect they would be running to the hills for a product from a different vendor.

Maybe you should consider writing an anti-spam forum add-in leveraging Automatic's (Wordpress) Akismet software as your forum anti-spam measure http://akismet.com/development/ and contibuting that back to the Open Source community via Codeplex etc, why Akismet? Because it works and works VERY well so don't re-invent the wheel.

Cheers, Stephen Edgar
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 10:07 AM
  • How about adding all those 'tags' to a black list just like many of the 'common' four letter words that I tried and noticed nothing is tagged with those and I would expect that is because they are blacklisted. Grab one of you standard filter lists for the Forefront team and add those as blacklisted tags? Just a thought out loud really.
    Cheers, Stephen Edgar
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 8:55 AM
  • Both the spam hack and the blacklist tags are expected to be fixed on 12/17 or so.
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 6:38 AM
    Answerer
  • It looks good now Brent, I read a few of the other forum posts regarding points delays etc but they will get worked out OK I presume.

One thing I have noticed is that the 'Tag Clouds' are now gone from most forums, is this a permanent decision or just temp whilst you clean the 'tag cloud'?
    Cheers, Stephen Edgar
    Monday, January 4, 2010 4:01 AM