How on earth do I remove this program? RRS feed

• Question

• I am going insane!  I have a dell vostro laptop that came with onecare pre-installed.  The laptop comes also with Vista Business installed.  Onecare's firewall is making my life miserable.  I would love to get rid of the program.  If i go to control panels > uninstall > there is no option to uninstall windows onecare. 

I then used the tool recommended here, i clicked clean, i restarted my system and the windows onecare firewall IS STILL ACTIVE.  Sorry if I sound crazy, but I'm at my wits end.  How on earth do I get rid of this program once and for all?  Please please help me.
    Wednesday, February 6, 2008 2:10 AM

Answers

All replies

• If you ran the cleanup tool, http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2 , successfully and rebooted, but the OneCare firewall remains active, please contact support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Are you sure that you are seeing the OneCare firewall active or is it the Windows Firewall? Perhaps the problem is actually a corrupt Windows Security Center WMI database - 

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2469173&SiteID=2

-steve
    Thursday, February 7, 2008 2:48 PM
  • I'll be honest and say I am not sure if this will work ,but the older windows operating programs had the windows components in a seperate add and remove file from other programs.Try looking in control panel/add and remove programs/windows components add and remove or my computer/c drive/program files ,it could be listed there as well and you can click the icon,pull up the menu and delete it that way.

Friday, February 15, 2008 1:42 AM
  • The key word in your post is Dell, as I've recently had major issues with an Inspiron laptop that has crashed badly three times in its first 5 months of operation. After experimentation and digging in Event Viewer, I've discovered that the main issue appears to be outdated Windows XP era kernel mode drivers installed on the Vista Home OS included with the system. This includes not only some of the Roxio software, but even several of the Dell Utilities which were installed on a PC that was delivered in August of last year!

I thought Dell had learned from the past, but from the experience the previous user of this laptop and I have had I can see that when you buy Dell you still need to get true Microsoft media to wipe the system clean and start over from scratch. This is even more true with subscription software like OneCare, which was never intended to be pre-installed on a PC, or especially imaged which is known to be the production technique used by Dell.

In fact, now that I think about it, this laptop was the replacement for the Dell Vostro laptop we got as a 'deal' which was re-loaded twice in the first week with even worse issues of data corruption. Funny thing is I've never had these issues with the commercial business products from Dell, so this must be the junk I've always heard home users complain about. No wonder there are so many software issues with these systems, OneCare or otherwise.

OneCareBear

Friday, February 15, 2008 5:06 AM