FlexRAID View with WHS 2011 RC - Cannot Move/Create share on View Drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been looking into alternatives to DE that can be run on top of WHS 2011. I was playing with FlexRAID and FlexRAID View. FlexRAID will let you assign a parity drive to provide a raid like protection (no striping) and FlexRAID View lets you create a storage pool of multiple drives that appear as one.

I was able to set up the FlexRAID View and create a pool drive which shows up in windows explorer. I can copy files to the pool and it puts them on one of the drives just as expected.

The problem is when I try to create a share from the WHS Dashboard. When I try to browse to and select a sub-folder on the Pool, I receive the following error message:

------

The Folder Location is Invalid

A server folder cannot be added to a hard drive that is not formatted with the NTFS file system. Select a different Folder location and try again.

------

From what I understand about FlexRAID and FlexRAID views, they are not using any special file systems or anything like that, it is all built on top of NTFS. In Fact, I can view the contents of the drives that make up the pool, or add a folder with the WHS dashboard no problem.

I know people have used FlexRAID with WHS v1, but from what I understand they were still using DE to create the Pool, they were just using the parity instead of DE's Duplication features.

Has anyone else had any luck getting this setup to work with WHS 2011 RC?

Daniel Roushey
    Monday, February 7, 2011 7:12 PM

Answers

• Daniel,

I took a look into FlexRAID this morning and it is advertising its volumes not as NTFS but as FlexRAIDFS.  FlexRAID sits above the file system, in this case NTFS, and then exposes its own lightweight file system (FlexRAIDFS).  So in reality, any data read/written to these volumes is in the FlexRAIDFS file system format.  How it actually stores the data in the underlying file system is completely up to the FlexRAID driver’s implementation of FlexRAIDFS.  From a quick test it looks like not all of NTFS’s features are exposed in the FlexRAIDFS version that I installed (Alternate Data Streams are an example).

One of the reasons the move operation is limited to NTFS file systems to insure the data after the move is the same as before the move.  The example I mentioned earlier is Alternate Data Streams.  Basically a file or folder can contain different streams (can be thought of as tracks on a CD and the file or folder as the actual CD). When reading/writing an application can pick which stream to use.  If the move allowed moving to a file system that does not support ADS, the file system would lose those alternate data streams (data).

Hope that helps.

Robert Dhaene [MSFT]

Post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 5:47 PM

All replies

• Daniel,

I took a look into FlexRAID this morning and it is advertising its volumes not as NTFS but as FlexRAIDFS.  FlexRAID sits above the file system, in this case NTFS, and then exposes its own lightweight file system (FlexRAIDFS).  So in reality, any data read/written to these volumes is in the FlexRAIDFS file system format.  How it actually stores the data in the underlying file system is completely up to the FlexRAID driver’s implementation of FlexRAIDFS.  From a quick test it looks like not all of NTFS’s features are exposed in the FlexRAIDFS version that I installed (Alternate Data Streams are an example).

One of the reasons the move operation is limited to NTFS file systems to insure the data after the move is the same as before the move.  The example I mentioned earlier is Alternate Data Streams.  Basically a file or folder can contain different streams (can be thought of as tracks on a CD and the file or folder as the actual CD). When reading/writing an application can pick which stream to use.  If the move allowed moving to a file system that does not support ADS, the file system would lose those alternate data streams (data).

Hope that helps.

Robert Dhaene [MSFT]

Post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 5:47 PM
  • Good to know. Thanks for the reply.
    Daniel Roushey
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 12:35 AM