none
WGA Blocking Technologies - Manual WGA for Customers? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello my friends,

I am currently moonlighting in software technical support and have come a crossed an interesting issue.

Our new 2010 software many times requires users to update via Windows Update before the software will run properly.

After spending two hours on the phone with a gentleman last night trying to get his software running. I determined that his Windows XP was counterfiet. The person he had bought the computer from installed a cracked version of Windows XP on it and it had some kind of WGA blocking technology built in. No matter how many different ways he tried he could not update because of course you have to do the WGA first before you get any updates and this cracked version of XP was blocking the WGA download.

I would like to put together some kind of knowledge base article here for our customers who may be having this kind of issue. Is there a way I can direct people to a direct web link to download WGA and run it manually? This was at least I can verify that the WGA blocking / update blocking is the problem and can direct the customer to the Microsoft piracy hotline and help them to buy a legitimate copy of the software?

Thank you in advance for your help in this matter.

Thomas Van Riper

Master Computer Tech

thomas@cny-media.com

CNYLaptop.com

Friday, December 17, 2010 6:16 PM

Answers