Fax magicjack Addin RRS feed

• Question

• just wanted to know wouldn't it be nice to have an add-in fax server that can connect through the magicjack on your whs server? can anyone help with it. I'm writing it in vb.net  any takers?
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 12:20 AM

Answers

• I'm not interested personally, as I have a multifunction network printer that includes fax capability, but here's how I would approach the architecture:

On the server I would have a service that would handle the faxing, and would accept requests from clients elsewhere on the network. On each client, I would have a "driver" which would look to the OS like a printer driver, and which would communicate with the service on the server for outgoing faxes. Incoming faxes would have to be handled entirely on the server (how would you determine that this fax should go to computer A, while that one should go to computer B?).

Probably the add-in would create an additional share for incoming faxes that fax users would be granted access to. The server administrator would handle which users would have access to that share manually.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 3:49 PM
  • Faxing will not work over the MagicJack.  MagicJack uses VoIPtransmision with a very modern compression and codec that only works with Voice (reliably).  Reassembling the transmitted Voice packets in the exact sequence as they were sent is not as critical in voice applications because your brain "fills in" the errors that occur when packets of data don't arrive int he same order as they were sent or the timing is "off" in the sequencing or order of packets, whereas in data apps, those errors make a huge difference.   Fax is a very old standard protocol (T3) that has it's own compression technique and was developed to work over low-bandwidth, voice networks of old.  That is why you can not use VoIP networks for traditional alarm reporting and fax transmission without the addiiton of another codec (T-38 for faxing) that is very expensive and much more bandwidth consuming.   You may be succesful faxing over VoIP for a page or two, but almost always, anything more than this will result in failure.
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 8:26 PM

All replies

• I'm not interested personally, as I have a multifunction network printer that includes fax capability, but here's how I would approach the architecture:

On the server I would have a service that would handle the faxing, and would accept requests from clients elsewhere on the network. On each client, I would have a "driver" which would look to the OS like a printer driver, and which would communicate with the service on the server for outgoing faxes. Incoming faxes would have to be handled entirely on the server (how would you determine that this fax should go to computer A, while that one should go to computer B?).

Probably the add-in would create an additional share for incoming faxes that fax users would be granted access to. The server administrator would handle which users would have access to that share manually.
    Saturday, December 5, 2009 3:49 PM
  • Isn't there a built in fax support in server 2003? How much of this is still available in whs? I don't have any modem in my setup at the moment, but I suppose it shouldn't be that much trouble to get it working? If so, wouldn't it work sharing that fax as a "network printer"?
    I don't use fax very much anymore, I prefer e-mail.
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 10:12 AM
  • Magicjack isn't a modem, it's a USB dongle that lets you plug a regular phone in and use it with their VOIP service. I don't actually know if they even support fax capabilities...
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 2:27 PM
  • I just wanted to post that I've been trying to use a Magicjack to fax with for several months to no avail. The VoIP warble is too much to the fax compression technology to deal with. Over 90% of faxes fail. I stopped wasting time with trying to fax over Magicjack and went with the cheapest phone plan for where I send faxes to.
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 12:20 AM
  • Faxing will not work over the MagicJack.  MagicJack uses VoIPtransmision with a very modern compression and codec that only works with Voice (reliably).  Reassembling the transmitted Voice packets in the exact sequence as they were sent is not as critical in voice applications because your brain "fills in" the errors that occur when packets of data don't arrive int he same order as they were sent or the timing is "off" in the sequencing or order of packets, whereas in data apps, those errors make a huge difference.   Fax is a very old standard protocol (T3) that has it's own compression technique and was developed to work over low-bandwidth, voice networks of old.  That is why you can not use VoIP networks for traditional alarm reporting and fax transmission without the addiiton of another codec (T-38 for faxing) that is very expensive and much more bandwidth consuming.   You may be succesful faxing over VoIP for a page or two, but almost always, anything more than this will result in failure.
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 8:26 PM
  • I have the Window 2003 Server Fax Service installed and shared (as a network printer) on my 4 node lan (2 XP MC, 1 XP Home and 1 Win7 PC) for outgoing. Incoming faxes sent to the shared default printer on the server. I am using a old Supra Express 56K USB Fax/Modem currently using VoIP provider NetTalk, but in the past have used MagicJack.

I switched to NetTalk because they where offer a free lifetime service promotion back in May 2010 vs. MagicJack which has annual fee. I also have Ooma, but have not tried to use it for faxing, but I am sure it would work as well.

Note: Each PC must have the local fax service installed.

Sunday, December 19, 2010 3:44 PM