Why does WHS Console Backups show the "Ghost" of my PC? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

A few days ago I had a disaster trying to backup one of my client PCs ("Potoroo" on the screendump below)

The "Ghost" of Potoroo (the greyed-out version) includes all the backups prior to the disaster.
    The normal version of Potoroo includes the backups since the disaster.

The "disaster" that I referred to above was that Potoroo was backed up ignoring all the drive exclusions that had been configured and working for months - this resulted in my Server being filled to capacity and rendered unusable until I added a 3rd disk (see forum post )

Since the disaster Potoroo has been split into the 2 different backup identities as shown on the screendump.

Can anyone shed any light on how my disaster happened?

Regards,
    Leigh

• Edited by Leigh Wardle Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:12 AM corrected URL
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:59 AM

All replies

• Hi all,

A few days ago I had a disaster trying to backup one of my client PCs ("Potoroo" on the screendump below)

The "Ghost" of Potoroo (the greyed-out version) includes all the backups prior to the disaster.

The "disaster" that I referred to above was that Potoroo was backed up ignoring all the drive exclusions that had been configured and working for months - this resulted in my Server being filled to capacity and rendered unusable until I added a 3rd disk (see forum post )

Since the disaster Potoroo has been split into the 2 different backup identities as shown on the screendump.

Regards,
    Leigh

Did you reinstall your operating system on Potoroo?  Did you access the server desktop and change anything?
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:19 AM
  • Hi all,

Regards,
    Leigh

Did you reinstall your operating system on Potoroo?  Did you access the server desktop and change anything?

I forgot to mention that I did a restore using WHS to a new hard disk - I assume that may have resulted in the Potoroo C: drive having some sort of change of identity?

I didn't change anything via the WHS console.

Regards,
    Leigh
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:03 PM
  • I forgot to mention that I did a restore using WHS to a new hard disk - I assume that may have resulted in the Potoroo C: drive having some sort of change of identity?

As long as you used the WHS recovery CD to restore a complete backup from your server, it should have the same unique ID.  (However, if you reinstalled Windows from a retail disc or a recovery disc from a computer manufacturer, that would cause the issue you're seeing.)

Regards,
    Leigh
    Actually my question was did you ever access the server desktop and change anything (not the Console).  If not, you might want to file a bug report on Connect.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:58 AM
  • I forgot to mention that I did a restore using WHS to a new hard disk - I assume that may have resulted in the Potoroo C: drive having some sort of change of identity?

As long as you used the WHS recovery CD to restore a complete backup from your server, it should have the same unique ID.  (However, if you reinstalled Windows from a retail disc or a recovery disc from a computer manufacturer, that would cause the issue you're seeing.)

Regards,
    Leigh
    Actually my question was did you ever access the server desktop and change anything (not the Console).  If not, you might want to file a bug report on Connect .
    I confirm that I used the WHS recovery CD to restore a complete backup from my server - but I still wonder if the issue is a consequence of using a freshly formatted hard disk?

I didn't access the server desktop and change anything (not the Console). 

I will not file a bug report on Connect - I think it's all too complicated - will just cross my fingers and hope it doesn't happen again!
    Friday, July 31, 2009 2:18 AM
  • I confirm that I used the WHS recovery CD to restore a complete backup from my server - but I still wonder if the issue is a consequence of using a freshly formatted hard disk?

Not unless there is something seriously wrong with your server.

I didn't access the server desktop and change anything (not the Console). 

I will not file a bug report on Connect - I think it's all too complicated - will just cross my fingers and hope it doesn't happen again!

Friday, July 31, 2009 4:43 AM
  • I will not file a bug report on Connect - I think it's all too complicated - will just cross my fingers and hope it doesn't happen again!
    I can't promise that a bug report on Connect will result in anything changing. However, I pretty well can guarantee that not filing a bug report will result in nothing changing. Bugs that aren't reported will often never get fixed, because the software vendor (Microsoft, in this case) will not have enough information to track it down, and may not even know that the issue exists.

We ask people to file bug reports so that apparent problems with Windows Home Server will be called to the attention of Microsoft, with sufficient information for Microsoft to actually have a chance of identifying the issue and (if it's internal to Windows Home Server) fixing it.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, July 31, 2009 3:57 PM