New Router causing firewall problems?? RRS feed

• Question

• My router died on me and I have put in a new one, I did have a linksys WRT54G and have replaced it with a Linksys WRT310N.  I made sure and printed out all of my router settings on the old one before installing and the best I can tell I moved all the settings over to the new router.  Since I installed the new router though, I can no longer log into the Home Server console or do a remote desktop without turning off my firewall in Norton 360. 
    The error message I get when trying to log in through the windows home console is:

This computer cannot connect to your home server.  Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on.  If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes.

If I try to do a remote desktop connection I get the following error message:
    This computer can't connect to the remote computer.  Remote Desktop cannot find the remote computer.  Type the computer name or IP address again, and then try connecting. 

I went back through Settings/ Remote access and let home server do its thing on the router, it noted that it was manually configured but that everything checked out.

Any ideas why this is happening?
    Thanks

Saturday, March 15, 2008 2:46 AM

Answers

• That was pretty much it, I put a new firewall rule in to Norton to cover the home server and that solved the problem.  Still doesnt really make sense to me why the new router caused the need for a new firewall rule, router is configured the same and it worked before.  But anyway, it works now.  Thanks for the feedback.
    Saturday, March 15, 2008 1:57 PM

All replies

• I'm not entirely sure about how the norton firewall works, but it's quite possible that the new router made Norton think that you are on a completely different network.  Thus things that it allowed before, it's not allowing.  You may have to go into the settings some how and allow things again. 
    Saturday, March 15, 2008 4:14 AM
  • Yes if it works with norton firewall off the problem is in norton not the router or homeserver

Still.....

Grey

Saturday, March 15, 2008 1:24 PM
  • That was pretty much it, I put a new firewall rule in to Norton to cover the home server and that solved the problem.  Still doesnt really make sense to me why the new router caused the need for a new firewall rule, router is configured the same and it worked before.  But anyway, it works now.  Thanks for the feedback.
    Saturday, March 15, 2008 1:57 PM
  • Hi,

I think I'm having the same problem.  Can you tell me the specifics of what you created in your rule?  Didyou enter all inbound and outbound protocols allowed against the IP address of your WHS?  Or did you just keep it to TCP and UDP?  Are you running Norton and Widows Firewall?

Thanks,

Dave

Sunday, April 20, 2008 11:23 PM
  •  

What I found out was that wasnt the final solution, after adding the firewall rules, came back the next day and it still wasnt working.  I have a mix of machines running a mix of antivirus software with their corresponding firewalls.  My primary machine is runnng Norton 360.  The trick was to go in and reset the new network as trusted.  Typically it is a setting under your firewall settings and it labeled something like network location.  I had to do that on all the machines to get it all straight.  Hope that helps
    Monday, April 21, 2008 2:13 AM
  • Another thing to check is the "Trust" setting in Norton. Make sure "Allow all network operations" is selected or you might have problems.

Monday, April 21, 2008 4:48 PM