none
Microsoft Money Archiving Question RRS feed

• Question

• Having had Microsoft Money since 2003, I have previously archived my history into x3 seperate files, namely:
    2003-06 Archive, 2007-8 Archive and 2009-10 Archive (with each Archive file, has the transactions for the years mentioned in file title).

HOWEVER, WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE TO COMBINE THESE X3 SEPERATE ARCHIVES INTO ONE COMBINED ARCHIVE???

Look forward to your advice

Regards

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 1:38 PM

All replies

• Possible? That's an interesting word.

It is fairly practical to do QIF exports from the older files, and import the QIF files into the newest file. Then inspect and remove potential duplicates. You can experiment with the difference in importing as a statement (looks for duplicates) and a recovered file (no duplicate checking). You may or may not find it easy enough for you.

It is easiest to not archive in the future so as to not dig deeper.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 2:04 PM
  • The BOTTOM LINE in Money is to NOT archive at all. I have been using Money for over 16 years and had updated the program yearly between 1995 and 2007. I have NEVER archived my data file so I can review ANY of my 16+ years of detail information via reports at any time. The reports feature is what allows you to identify information by month, year, etc. It really does not cause slowdowns for me and what I learned early on was the way archived works in Money is that it isolates old data by separate files EXCEPT certain investment transactions and really screws up your history. If you can somehow bring all your history back into ONE data file you will be better off in my opinion. How you do this will need the help of people like Carl Learner and others but if you REALLY want accurate historical data to review in the future, I would suggest you spend the time necessary to get ALL your data back into one file with no duplication or missing input. Good luck. Steve
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 2:50 PM
  • Amazed to find a forum where people are actually contributing re this most useful programme.

I was hoping to find some help regarding the Archive function, but had arrived at the conclusion it was best not done at all (as advised above).  After first discovering that the feature doesn't work at all - no transactions get removed whether reconciled or not and the 'Archive' file is simply a copy including all transactions after the archive date.  It's an utterly pointless feature as it stands, but experimenting with deleting transactions shows that the running balance is affected so an adjustment posting would be needed to correct the current balances (or the Opening Balance figure adjusted accordingly).

Given the huge amount of work this would entail, it's simply not worth it.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 7:32 PM
  • I congratulate you on the conclusion that archiving is not a good thing to do for most people, and maybe I should stop there. I don't archive, and it does not appeal to me.

Still, it does something: While the archive file is a copy of the file as it existed before archiving, the file with the original filename has non-investment transactions older than the specified date removed, and the opening balances of the accounts should get adjustments to keep the same final balance. The ability to do reports over a long time goes away. Those who think this is going to make their files appreciably smaller or faster are generally diappointed. Those who do this out of a sense of neatness may like the effect. There is no easy way to re-integrate the information later if you do archive.

While you are here and thinking about Money, I suggest you consider your backup policies, and allow for failing hard drives. Keep more than one vintage of backup. For the UK versions, there is the danger that your file has a bad event, and that you overwrite your only good backup with the corruption upon exit. Consider a batch file that writes to a flash drive. Delete backup3, copy backup2 to backup3, copy backup1 to backup2, copy Millivan.mbf to backup1.

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 7:56 PM
  • I've always treated the archive option as something that originated in the days of floppies when multiple floppy disk backups were tedious in the extreme and archiving would allow the datafiles to be kept small enough to fit on one floppy.

I totally agree with "never ever archive your money file".

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 3:27 PM