none
the Skills Measured section of Microsoft Learning is lacking RRS feed

• Question

• In addition to the official Microsoft Press book being out of date, the Skills Measured section of Microsoft Learning for 70-649 is lacking. I'm seeing a lot of questions for Network Policy Server. Nothing in the Skills Measured mentions Network Policy. There doesn't seem to be an accurate and comprehensive guide put out by Microsoft as to exactly what they want you to learn.

doug_barth@hotmail.com

Friday, May 25, 2012 7:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Doug-

One thing to be aware of is that the Skills Measured section is not supposed to be an exhaustive list of everything that will be tested.  Quoting from the section itself:

"The information after “This objective may include but is not limited to” is
    intended to further define or scope the objective by describing the types of
    skills and topics that may be tested for the objective. However, it is not an
    exhaustive list of skills and topics that could be included on the exam for a
    given skill area. You may be tested on other skills and topics related to the
    objective that are not explicitly listed here."

However, specific to 70-649, in the overview section, there are a couple of bullets that point to Network Policy Server (NPS) without calling out the role specifically (I've bolded the relevant text):

• Network services and resources such as messaging, a
      database, file and print, a proxy server, a firewall, the Internet, an intranet,
      remote access, and client computer management
    • Connectivity requirements such as connecting branch offices
      and individual users in remote locations to the corporate network and connecting
      corporate networks to the Internet

With regard to upgrade exams, one suggestion I have is to look at the skills measured sections for the standalone exams.  That will give you a very clear idea (and much more detail) about what to expect on the upgrade exam.  For 70-649, it covers three standalone exams:   70-640, 70-642, and 70-643. If you look directly at the skills measured on the 70-642 page (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-642#tab2), you'll see NPS directly called out, as shown below.

• Configure Network
      Policy Server (NPS).
    • May include but is not limited to:
      IEEE 802.11 wireless; IEEE 802.3 wired; group policy for wireless; RADIUS
      accounting; Connection Request policies; RADIUS proxy; NPS templates

In addition, there are a couple of other sections listed about remote access and related technologies.

While this information may not help you if you already took the exam, I hope it is helpful for future upgrade exams.

Brian

• Marked as answer by Doug_Barth Friday, May 25, 2012 9:10 PM
    Friday, May 25, 2012 9:00 PM