Installed new motherboard on my HP computer and cannot activate my Windows XP Media Center 2005 license RRS feed

• General discussion

• My original motherboard was damaged,I had purchased a new and different motherboard to fix the problem.

Windows does not permit activating because I imagine the key is already used by my original activation.  The system does not even permit me to login into windows.

Yesterday I spoke with microsoft personnel by phone and they told me that the license is tied to the original HP motherboard and therefore they could not reactivate my license and that I have to get a new license.

I thought that the XP license was perpetually valid as long as you maintained the machine and that if you changed parts all you have to do was call microsoft and explain the change to reactivate the license.  I think that changing a motherboard that failed should not be reason for not reactivating my original license.

I got other license from my MDSN subscription, if it is true that I cannot reactivate my license because of the motherboard change, is there a way of entering my MSDN license key and activating it without having to reinstall windows and all the software currently on the machine?

• Changed type JimR1Moderator Tuesday, August 24, 2010 7:41 PM Off topic. Not a One Care question.
    • Moved by JimR1Moderator Tuesday, August 24, 2010 7:43 PM (From:Windows Live OneCare Install and Activate)
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 7:11 PM

All replies