none
About MCTS certification 70-536 & 70-505 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am preparing for 70-536 & 70-505 exams but I am a bit confused as I aware that I will not recieved any certification if I cleared 70-536 exam. Can anyone tell how I proceed to get MCTS certification? Either I have to clear both 70-536 & 70-505 exams to get MCTS certified? Is there anyother combination of exams to get MCTS certfied?

Thanks in advance.

Hussain

Saturday, February 12, 2011 7:31 AM

Answers

• Hi Hussain,

you are correct: you get the MCTS certification after passing both exams. But instead of doing these two exams on the .Net Framework 3.5, you could do the 70-511 exam on the .Net Framework 4 which will give you a MCTS certification directly.

And if you want to stick to the .Net Framework 3.5 exams: Yes, there are other exams, too. You can see the available Visual Studio exams at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-vstudio.aspx. On the Visual Studio 2008 tab you see a table with all MCTS titles available and all need the 70-536, too: "Each MCTS certification on Visual Studio 2008 requires that you pass Exam 70-536: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework, Application Development Foundation in addition to the exam related to the certification that you want to pursue. You only need to pass this exam once."

With kind regards,

Konrad

• Marked as answer by rashid_dear Wednesday, February 16, 2011 5:53 PM
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 7:48 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Hussain,

I think that the 70-536 is at least worth reading. At least some chapters are really important and people should know it. The best example in my eyes is the logging. The .Net Framework provides some good classes for this already (TraceSource and TraceListener).

So the 70-536 exam will help you in my eyes in your work as .Net Developer. But if you choose the 70-511 exam I would think about skipping the 70-536 exam, because it has no real benefit and costs money. (But the time you spent in preparing for the exam is NOT wasted!) But of course: Maybe it is something you just want to have on your transcript so you can proove that you learned the content.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Saturday, February 12, 2011 10:02 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Hussain,

you are correct: you get the MCTS certification after passing both exams. But instead of doing these two exams on the .Net Framework 3.5, you could do the 70-511 exam on the .Net Framework 4 which will give you a MCTS certification directly.

And if you want to stick to the .Net Framework 3.5 exams: Yes, there are other exams, too. You can see the available Visual Studio exams at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-vstudio.aspx. On the Visual Studio 2008 tab you see a table with all MCTS titles available and all need the 70-536, too: "Each MCTS certification on Visual Studio 2008 requires that you pass Exam 70-536: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework, Application Development Foundation in addition to the exam related to the certification that you want to pursue. You only need to pass this exam once."

With kind regards,

Konrad

Saturday, February 12, 2011 7:48 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Konrad,

Thank you for your detailed suggestions. I have read some posts which says .Net Framework 3.5 provide great learning including training kit is also available. Giving 70-536 and then 70-511 exams boost the skills better as .Net Framework 4.0 does has limited resources so far. I have studied & prepared 70-536 and have not read about 70-511 yet.

Does 70-536 prepration will help me if I go for 70-511 exam?. I am new in certfications, does it looks better if directly go for 70-511 exam?

Thank you,

Hussain

• Marked as answer by rashid_dear Wednesday, February 16, 2011 5:52 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by rashid_dear Wednesday, February 16, 2011 5:53 PM
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 8:45 AM
  • Hi Hussain,

I think that the 70-536 is at least worth reading. At least some chapters are really important and people should know it. The best example in my eyes is the logging. The .Net Framework provides some good classes for this already (TraceSource and TraceListener).

So the 70-536 exam will help you in my eyes in your work as .Net Developer. But if you choose the 70-511 exam I would think about skipping the 70-536 exam, because it has no real benefit and costs money. (But the time you spent in preparing for the exam is NOT wasted!) But of course: Maybe it is something you just want to have on your transcript so you can proove that you learned the content.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Saturday, February 12, 2011 10:02 AM
    Answerer
  • Thank you very much Konrad for your valuable opinions and suggestions.

Regards,

Hussain

Saturday, February 12, 2011 2:59 PM