Import the Data between the organziations with the same guid in crm 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I tried to import one of my code tables from UAT to Production.

I would like to have the data created with the same UAT GUID in Production but I don't know how to make that happen.

In Crm 4 we used to use data import utility and it had all the guid with the file itself and they easily import it to another organziation.

The reason I need to have the GUID is our users perfom all their changes and tests in the UAT and then ask us to move the code table to Prod after finish testing. We used this way of when we were on CRM4.Now that we are on CRM 2011 I have trouble. here is what I did;

I tried to create an advance find view and export my file to excel as static.

The problem is if I want guid apparently I need to click a check box 'Make this data avaiable for Re-importing" which creates an XML file. But I could not import this file in a empty table. It import zero records.

I do appreciate any advice to how to export with guid and import the data to a clean table with those Guids?

Many thank,

Maryam

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 12:51 AM

Answers

• I tried with the old crm 4 tool named "CRM Configuration Data Utility" it s still working so you can use that at least for simple data import export bewteen environment.

Also if you have a text area field it keeps the format and spaces.

Hopefully that helps

• Marked as answer by Maryam_r Tuesday, December 24, 2013 6:32 PM
    Tuesday, December 24, 2013 6:31 PM

All replies

• When you select the file for re-import, it exports the Guid with the intentions of updating existing records with matching guid when importing them back. When imported in an empty table it does not find matching guid and therefore nothing to update.

Similar to CRM 4, you can design a tool that will read the records along with the Guid and pass the Guid along to the entity in the new environment.

HTH

Sam

Dynamics CRM MVP | Inogic | http://inogic.blogspot.com| news at inogic dot com

If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

• Proposed as answer by Sam - Inogic Tuesday, December 24, 2013 8:24 AM
    Tuesday, December 24, 2013 8:24 AM
  • Scribe handles this and they have very reasonable prices on their 60-day licensing for data migrations.  If you want to spend some time coding, this is possible using REST or C#.

If the latter suits you, check out the SDK samples: <sdk path>\SampleCode\CS\QuickStart demonstrates a quick way to connect and perform CRUD operations.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 1:55 PM
  • Thank you so much for the reply. It there any free tool that could be used at all?

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 3:02 PM
  • Thanks for the advice.

Buying a tool takes a lot of time for approval and also coding could be little bit lengthy.

Also we need this to0l for one going purposes to maintain our code tables (Update from UAT to PROD) and 60 days would not be an option.

I wonder if there is any free tool that you know of at all? I do not need to migrate parent child record. I just want to export the data from one table with guid and reimport it to the same table in another environment.This is just for my code tables.

Thanks again for your help.

• Edited by Maryam_r Tuesday, December 24, 2013 3:11 PM
    Tuesday, December 24, 2013 3:04 PM
  • Microsoft's free Instance Adapter will copy the data, but I haven't used it to know if it will copy the GUID's too.

PowerObjects has a nice blog series on the tool setup and usage.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 3:19 PM
  • I tried with the old crm 4 tool named "CRM Configuration Data Utility" it s still working so you can use that at least for simple data import export bewteen environment.

Also if you have a text area field it keeps the format and spaces.

Hopefully that helps

• Marked as answer by Maryam_r Tuesday, December 24, 2013 6:32 PM
    Tuesday, December 24, 2013 6:31 PM