Microsoft Money 2005 - Do not know old password RRS feed

• Question

• I have money 2005 installed on old  computer and it was set to log me into Money automatically and I worked off line as I DO NOT know what the password is. This has worked for me for the last few years.

I purchased a new PC, installed MS Money but now I do not know how to open the file as my password no longer "appears" in the password field. I have previously tried to change the password, but you need to know what the old password is.

Does anybody know where the password is stored on my old pc so that I can retrieve it? Is it in a Windows file, the registry, etc?

Sunday, March 10, 2019 1:52 AM

All replies

• If you used your old disk to install Money, instead install using the file appropriate to your country from the second post in this forum.

If you really had a password on your file, and you have no clue what it was, there is no workaround or crack for you. I am hoping that the password error message is a false error, and the new install will fix you up.

If you really did have a password, check your old notes. Keep a pad of paper and a pencil by the bed in case it comes to you.

Sunday, March 10, 2019 5:22 AM
  • There are two other possibilities to get at your data.

1. Do a Google search for "Microsoft Money password crack".  There are commercial programs that claim to be able to recover your password.  But be very careful with any software or service like that.  Most people who are trying to get at passwords are miscreants and the programs that they use or offer for sale may well contain malware.  And, of course, sharing your financial data with unknown parties has inherent risks.  Moreover, one of those "services" warns:

Please note that in MS Money 2002+ the protection scheme was significantly improved, so universal recovery methods, such as Brute Force Attack and Dictionary Search, must be used. This may take a lot of time and even fail if the password is long and complex. This problem is of global nature - in general, protection in MS Money is very complex.

As you are no doubt concluding, I don't recommend this approach.

2. Since you can still access your Money file on your old computer, you can do a qif export of your data and then do a qif import into a fresh install of Money on your new computer.  This will not bring over customized reports, scheduled bills & deposits, and some data, but does bring over most financial transactions.  This article is a good description of the process:

http://moneymvps.org/faq/article/28.aspx

Let us know how you make out.

Bill Becker

Sunday, March 10, 2019 5:53 PM