none
<Possible solution> Error HRESULT E_FAIL RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, got a consistent failure here and a potential solution.

Synctoy 2.1, Windows 7. Have removed all sync frameworks and synctoy installs and resinstalled by using Synctoy 2.1 download and allowing it to install whatever it wants.

Syncing between Windows 7 Public Folder and Netgear ReadyNAS running RAIDiator 4.1.6. Using a mapped network drive (Z:) to a share on the system using CIFS.

Have been having general problems with this setup ever since upgrading to Synctoy 2.0 - 1.4 used to work fine. Unfortunately I can no longer get 1.4 to even start since installing 2.1 - just crashes on startup. FTP copy using filezilla seems is fine. 

After working out what to sync, an immediate error pops up:  Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.

The basic problem seems to be a permissions issue on the NAS - After some digging I found that the account I had been using on the device was no longer the owner for the folder structure and Synctoy was failing when trying to create/modify a file in that given directory.

So instructions for Netgear ReadyNAS but I'm sure probably similar for others:

1. Ensure that you have a user account on the NAS. For absoloute simplicity create an account with the same username/password combo as you use to logon to your Windows desktop. (no comments from security peeps please!)
    2. Look at your share listings, click on CIFS logo by the share you are having a problem with
    3. Click Advanced Options
    4. Change Share folder owner to your username
    5. change share folder group to users
    6. Tick box for "Set ownership and permission for existing files and folders in this share to the above settings. This option is useful in cases where you are changing security levels and need to workaround file access problems."
    7. Hit apply
    Problem should vanish. That's not to say a new one won't arise!

Monday, April 12, 2010 12:32 PM