Why does WHS2011 Forget Me? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a WHS2011 PC, a Win7 x64 desktop in my den, and a Notebook running Win7 x64. I have the same username/password accounts on all 3 of these PCs. Why is it everytime I log in to teh laptop or my den desktop and I want to access my WHS files throught the launchpad (SharedFolders) I have to enter my Username/password combination. (There is always an error in the dialog box that says "Bad Credentials"). However, I enter the same credentials and I can get access.

I thought signing in to either PC with my user accounts on either the den PC or laptop would sign me into the server.

Is there something wrong? If so, how do I fix?

I have gone into the user accounts and "played" with the credentials but that didnt work either.

• Edited by Col. ONeill Monday, October 17, 2011 11:35 PM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 11:09 PM

All replies

• Col,

It sounds like your user accounts on your workstations might just have their "labels" set to the username, and that your actual account names might be different. Changing your account name in the obvious "User Accounts" area of the control panel only changes it cosmetically. Try going in to the "real" User Accounts administration and verify that your account name matches what you think it is. You can do this via Local Users and Groups:

• Start > Search > lusrmgr.msc

The most likely reason they might be different is if it was created with one name and then later changed to another with the regular control panel User Accounts applet. If they are different, then you can use Local users and Groups to rename the account (right-click, Rename).

• Proposed as answer by Dale Start Tuesday, October 18, 2011 1:27 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Col. ONeill Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:50 PM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 1:27 PM
  • No. The user accout created is original. And I did double check through lusrmgr.msc and the names are accurate.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:51 PM