Seeking Feedback on Printer Sharing RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi All,

I am the PM owner for Printer Sharing feature for 2.0. We have been waiting with our fingers crossed for some time to see beta feedback and suspense is killing us. We have one great positive feedback (thanks!) and while I would love to believe that feature is workign great for everyone, experience tells me otherwise.

We are requesting you to provide feedback, positive or negative on this feature.

Here is some more information to help you use this feature:

• What is "Printer Sharing" ?

"Print from any PC in OneCare circle to any printer attached to a PC in the same circle"

If you have a USB printer attached to any PC in your OneCare circle, OneCare automatically sets up  connection to that printer from all other PCs in the same circle. Now you don't need to email files to the computer with printer Smile.  You can just "print" from any application on any PC and just print to printer directly.

•  What do I need to use printer sharing?

You need

• two or more PC's in the OneCare circle,
      • a printer attached to one of those PC via a wire (preferably USB)
      • both machines connected to same router (wired or wireless)
      • both machines ON at the same time

Once these conditions are met, OneCare will automatically set up the printer connection. You will not see any proactive notification on the machine to which printer is attached  ("host") computer. However on the other computer "client" you should see a dialog box come up saying that OneCare has installed the remote printer and you can print to it.

• What do I do if no such dialog box shows up?
      • Make sure the conditions mentioned above are met
      • Go the computer where you expected the dialog box to show up and it did not,
        • Login to an administrative account
        • Change Settings>Printer Sharing
        • Click on "Refresh Status and view status summary"
      • This report should tell you why it is not working
      • It that does not help solve the problem, please give us feedback by opening a bug. We will need the support log from both machines. You can create support log by running C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live\OneCareSupport.exe

• Dialog box showed up, but I can't print
      • Make sure both computers are ON and Printer is ON and they are connected to same router
      • It that does not help solve the problem, please give us feedback by opening a bug. We will need the support log from both machines. You can create support log by running C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live\OneCareSupport.exe

We need both positive and negative feedback, so please let us know

a) Did you see the printer setup dialog come up?

b) If it did, are you able to print remotely

c) Any other issues/oddities around it?

Thanks

Neeraj Garg

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 3:58 PM