HDD not listed in My Computer on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• WHS has an 80G and a 160G drive to use.  80G drive is HD0.

Kept uploading more files to Public shared folder (with Duplication turned on) until it was too much.

Eventually "network health" went read and critical as it ran out of space. Okay, that seems reasonable.

Check console - "drive has less than 5% space" warning. But no indication of which drive! All drives in Console appear healthy.

Log on to WHS as administrator. Whoa! Only the first HDD shows up in My Computer. (both partitions, SYS and Data are present). Yes, it shows that Data is the one with low space, but where is the second HDD? In Disk Manager the second HDD is there and ... it does not have a drive letter assigned.

Wow, okay that explains why it doesn't show up in My Computer I suppose. Just really seemed weird to me.

Saturday, March 31, 2007 12:25 PM

Answers

• WHS is functioning as designed. Drive Extender manages all the drives in the storage pool as one large collection of space, but it doesn't assign drive letters for the extra drives.
    Saturday, March 31, 2007 12:41 PM

All replies

• WHS is functioning as designed. Drive Extender manages all the drives in the storage pool as one large collection of space, but it doesn't assign drive letters for the extra drives.
    Saturday, March 31, 2007 12:41 PM
  •   Does this mean that WHS will only show it's drive that it is installed on and it's partition if there is one?

Ex: HDD1 is split, c: has OD installed on it, the other half which is d:, is now DATA is shown as well,but not the other physical HDD2?

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 6:39 PM
  • It means that C: (sys) is 10gig, D: (data) is the rest of the first drive + the sum of any other HDs that have been added to the storage pool.

Gordon

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 6:54 PM
  • Thanks again, this has got to be the fastest replies I've had to posts in any forum like this! 
    Tuesday, April 3, 2007 8:19 PM