Editing Dynamic Worksheets in Excel without loosing the formatting/formulas RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When you export from crm into excel, and make it a dynamic worksheet, is it possible to do it in a way that you can save things such as sorts, formatting and any formulas you want and then save them, but with the data refreshing?

Thanks!
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 11:09 AM

Answers

• When it exports, it uses a format called OpenXML. This isn't an Excel file but a compatible standard. If you save the file as a 'proper' Excel file, the ability to refresh will be preserved and you will be able to do all those things you expect.

I've also written a blog article on using Excel for reporting which may be of interest.

Regards,

Leon Tribe
    Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog
    • Proposed as answer by Leon TribeMVP Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by GuyLevine Thursday, March 12, 2009 8:12 AM
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:20 PM

All replies

• When it exports, it uses a format called OpenXML. This isn't an Excel file but a compatible standard. If you save the file as a 'proper' Excel file, the ability to refresh will be preserved and you will be able to do all those things you expect.

I've also written a blog article on using Excel for reporting which may be of interest.

Regards,

Leon Tribe
    Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog
    • Proposed as answer by Leon TribeMVP Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by GuyLevine Thursday, March 12, 2009 8:12 AM
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:20 PM
  • When you refresh data, formulas you have in Excel Cells will get overwritten.  You will want to set the sort Order on the data before it is exported.  For example, if you use an Advanced Find query for the data pull, set the sort order in the Advanced find query before generating the Dynamic worksheet.  There is probably a way to accomplish what you want, but I haven't found it within the Excel worksheet or associated connection.  I have not been able to preserve formulas or formatting in Dynamic Worksheets so I create custom reports instead.

Best Regards, Donna
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 1:02 PM
  • Thanks Leon,

That sorted it!
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 8:12 AM