Re: fix the DRM/Activation/Validation System RRS feed

• General discussion

• First off, let me explain how Windows Product Activation currently works. When installing Windows Vista, you (like with older versions of windows) have to enter a product key when installing Windows. This key is a sticker on the back of the CD case, or a sticker on the computer itself if purchased OEM. When you boot Windows Vista, you must activate it. When you do this, it makes a hardware ID for your computers hardware configuration, and takes your CD key, and sends all this to Microsoft. If the key has never been used before, or it's been used on this same hardware, it becomes activated. (More information on this is from Microsoft)

Windows CD Keys have never been a big deal. Once you have one, you're all set. This is no longer the case with Windows Vista. Now, when you have a CD key, or in particular, a "virgin CD key", you have the ability to activate windows. This will allow you to activate windows legally.

Additionally, your CD Key is a reference to what version of Windows Vista you may be using, whether this is Ultimate, Basic, Etc.

So never before has the desire to generate CD keys been a big deal. Key generators have been made for previous windows versions, and to think it can't be done with Windows Vista is ludicrous. It happened with Windows XP, as this is just a refresh to the dangers of Vista.

A key generator is a program that produces a working CD key. If one of these programs is created for Windows Vista, people may be able to obtain a virgin key. Generate a virgin key, activate windows, it's yours. Congratulations.

But let us now consider what happens after this.

Joe User buys Windows Vista. His product key was generated by someone, and used. It's no longer a virgin. His copy of Vista is now unable to be activated. Congratulations Joe User, You've paid for nothing.

Cracking Windows Vista may or may not be difficult. But a crack doesn't hurt anyone else. This isn't a crack; it's abusing the system that Microsoft intends to use. This hurts people. It is now not just stealing from Microsoft; it's stealing from the people who actually paid for it. Microsoft of course should protect its copyright. But this will not work. It didn't work with Windows XP, and the lesson has still not been learned.

What can be done? Remove product activation. This article I've written clearly shows how PAYING CUSTOMERS could be hurt by this. This could very well be considered a Denial-Of-Service attack. I however am calling it a 'Denial of Operating System' attack. One that takes away the users very right to use the operating system they have PAID for. If Microsoft's reading this, take note: This is dangerous. Back out now, while you still have a chance. Piracy will no longer be JUST about getting your copy of Windows working illegally; it now has the ability to take away that ability from others. So I'm sure if this does go through, we can expect to see lots of CD key generators. The quest is no longer over just a CD key that you can install Windows with; it's now a quest for the virgin CD key; one that has never been used.

I honestly see no way how Microsoft could stop this from occurring. And now that Windows Vista has been released to manufactoring, we will have to wait and see what happens. It should be noted that with Windows Vista, one can no longer just simply use a corporate version. This will create more of a demand for a key generator, thus causing a greater likelihood of this happening to legitimate users.

Until Windows Product Activation is removed from Windows Vista, I highly recommend not using it. Stick with Windows 2000, or, Windows XP. And as Linux is now a complete alternative to Windows, why not just give it a shot?

• Changed type Carl-S Tuesday, October 7, 2008 3:13 PM
    Sunday, May 13, 2007 7:44 AM

All replies

• Just wanted to say. I quite agree with you. I wanted to build a new computer. I do this frequently plus adding pieces and upgrading. I usually buy parts and get the OEM version of the OS to use on the computer with the purchases. Costs a lot and I try to be fair and buy one for each computer that I make from scratch (not just upgrade parts) did the same for Vista and purchased the license with the parts. When I got it, found all the rubbish about the installing etc. The upshot is that the package has stayed sealed while I consider the options. I built the computer with XP. I am going to build another one in the next couple of weeks and I am seriously considering using Linux.

May God give me stength, friends of mine are using pirated copies that cost them nothing. Here I am I try to do the right thing and what happens I get royally shafted by the process that is meant to stop "piracy". When are they going to wise up to the fact that the average Joe Blow is getting royally annoyed with the hoops they are asked to jump through. I would have thought that Microsoft had actually learned from the Academic versions. Once people had to go through hoops to prove they were an academic user. Then Microsoft discovered that people would pay for the software if it was reasonalbly priced for just home use and low and behold just about anyone and his dog can now buy Academic.

Is it just me and you, or do the Powers that Be actually think about it, I know If the system cost less more people wouldn't hassle about the fun and games and they would have their blessed one license per computer. Because ultimately once the first one has been put to disk they do not have to do anymore to that particular object (yes I know that they have to constantly upgrade etc repair and fill in all the holes they didn't see or have poked in the software.) However they would need to do that for one copy why do they need to charge so much for 60million. Now the complication of the virgin key. Oh well I've vented. wonder if MS actually reads or more rightly thinks about these posts. I think that all the problems they have with new operating systems is Karmic payback for their scrooge like behaviour- one can but hope.LOL.

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 5:04 AM