none
Search problem RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to do a search in the forums. For the past 2 days I have tried to search and keep receiving an unexpected error. Is this a know problem and if so when will it be corrected?

Thanks.

Friday, April 16, 2010 11:25 AM

Answers

All replies

• Unexpected error has been common recently and not just on searches. Its a forums issue and not an issue with your PC. The MS people know about it.

As for an ETA??

All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.
    Friday, April 16, 2010 1:34 PM
  • I didn't get errors on the Search, but I was unable to find what I was looking for using Search. I tried very hard with different string combinations.

Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

Naomi Nosonovsky, Sr. Programmer-Analyst

My blog

Have you seen this thread about using the Forums Search?

I've given up withe the forums search.

All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.
    Friday, April 16, 2010 2:06 PM
  • I didn't get errors on the Search, but I was unable to find what I was looking for using Search. I tried very hard with different string combinations. 

Use Google web search.   Seriously.   Answers, Microsoft and even BING searches all seem to be using some kind of filter on Answers (perhaps using its whizzo meta data, which Google will not be using).   In addition you can use  Google's  inurl:  search attribute to narrow your search to particular forums.   E.g. in order to find posts in here I would add to any other search terms:  inurl:reportabug  site:microsoft.com    Unfortunately, Google doesn't let us sort by date, so you may have to do quite a bit of refining to your search in order to eliminate earlier instances of whatever it is that you are searching for.  Luckily the post date does seem to appear as data so we can even filter with it when we're desperate...

http://www.google.ca/search?num=30&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-ca%3AIE-SearchBox&q=apr+2010+naom+intitle%3Asearch+inurl%3Athread+inurl%3Areportabug+site%3Amicrosoft.com&meta=&cts=1271428053575&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

(Google web search for
         apr 2010 naom intitle:search inurl:thread inurl:reportabug site:microsoft.com
    -  not even the year was sufficient to refine that search to just this thread
    -  wait for it! <w>
    )

HTH

Robert
    ---

Friday, April 16, 2010 2:34 PM
  • Robert

I'm ignorant when it comes to meta-data, etc.

Please could you give me a simple example - what exactly would I have to input into the Google search box if I wanted to find all instances of,
    say, iTunes in the titles of threads in the Microsoft Answers Forum.

Once I understand how the format works, I hopefully should be able to work the rest out myself.  :o)

Many Thanks
    Jetta

Friday, April 16, 2010 3:37 PM
  • Robert

Don't feel bad about that, especially considering the absurdly verbose syntax that's being used.  I don't know why they can't at least provide an Advanced Search dialog as a GUI front-end to help people avoid having to know implementation details like that.

Please could you give me a simple example - what exactly would I have to input into the Google search box if I wanted to find all instances of,
    say, iTunes in the titles of threads in the Microsoft Answers Forum.

No particular forum on Answers?  But information which has been posted in a thread...

http://www.google.ca/search?num=30&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-ca%3AIE-SearchBox&q=intitle%3AITunes+inurl%3Athread+site%3Aanswers.microsoft.com&btnG=Search&meta=&cts=1271475806898&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

(Google web search for
         intitle:ITunes inurl:thread site:answers.microsoft.com
    )

HTH

Robert
    ---

Saturday, April 17, 2010 3:47 AM
  • Here is what I used

inurl:transactsql  site:microsoft.com insert record trigger matter what

and though I didn't find the thread I wanted, it was really good.

I would try inserting  inurl:thread  with that to be sure that you are getting just message data (e.g. avoiding search results)...

http://www.google.ca/search?num=30&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-ca%3AIE-SearchBox&q=inurl%3Atransactsql++inurl%3Athread+site%3Amicrosoft.com+insert+record+trigger+matter+what&meta=&cts=1271476149861&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Ok.  In this case yours is equivalent to mine but in general I think you get a better result with that extra filter term.

So, what are we missing?  

BTW notice that search that I did earlier as an example is now working?   ; )

Robert
    ---

Saturday, April 17, 2010 3:56 AM
  • Robert

I just realized that this may mean that you haven't even seen the post we are both referring to and not that you feel overwhelmed by it (yet).   ; )

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/thread/436c0821-e7a7-4ba6-8a0a-b34b0ec37ba6/

FYI

Robert
    ---

Saturday, April 17, 2010 4:04 AM
  • Robert

Wow, doesn't that work better than the forums search.   8o)

Many Thanks
    Jetta

Saturday, April 17, 2010 10:19 AM