Formatting a Post RRS feed

• Question

• I have one simple question regarding these new forums pages: How in the H-E-double-hockey-sticks can you format your post?!?!? Seriously???? I pasted in a code snippet that was actually red text and a different font. I wanted to format the font back to the "normal" font, but guess what? Nowhere is there a place to format the color/size/font.

Gee, I can bold, italicize or underline. Whoopee...

I am so not impressed with this "new and improved" forums set up at all.
    A. M. Robinson
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 5:44 PM

All replies

• It's messy but it is possible to get rid of red text and the like.

Open the post with Edit and then select HTML.

Then you have to go in and remove the offending <scan .....> and matching </scan> pieces of code.

(Note: This mostly works. I've occasionally and seemingly randomly had empty HTML boxes when I've tried to remove someone else's poor fonts making me wonder how they created their message - Hans?)

WSS FAQ sites: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com and http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 / MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/Lists/v3%20WSS%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 4:31 AM
  • This is the 4th attempt at a post editor at these forums.  As far as formatting and posting code goes, it is the weakest one yet.  Part of the problem is Internet Explorer, it puts its own HTML formatting on everything you type and paste.  That thoroughly messes up code snippets.  Most typically, you'd get double-spaces lines with all indenting removed.

The supplier of the current editor specifically warns about this problem, MSFT uses the editor in a mode they strongly discourage.  Now there's a new problem, when you try to fixup a code snippet, it inserts text you can't see.  It shows up as <br /> in the final post.  Lots of users also manage to get it into a mode where every word in the snippet is on a line by itself with varying font sizes to boot.  No idea yet how they get there.  Trying to edit a post afterwards invariably makes it worse.

I'm not seeing these problems getting acknowledged, let alone fixed.  I'm sure it's not easy.  Client-side, you can fix some of this by going into HTML mode but that tends to get annoying in a hurry.  I can only recommend using FireFox, its editor doesn't have this problem and you can paste code directly from your editor or Visual Studio without it getting mangled.

Oh, one detail: on the toolbar, "HTML </>" probably means something else than you think.  "HTML" is actually a button, not a label.  It brings up the HTML editor.  "</>" means "insert code".  Any code, not just markup.

Hans Passant.
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 10:05 AM
  • I do not know how they can call this site "improved"...sorry.
    A. M. Robinson
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 6:29 PM
  • ansonee:

I think in many ways it is improved. Visually, it is much better than v3, and the fact that you can do (almost) everything without a complete page refresh makes it much more responsive.

I use a Mozilla browser (SeaMonkey, actually) and I never use the code editor. If you type code directly into the main editor window (or cut and paste code in plain text) then there are no formatting problems.

Almost as good as NNTP...

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 7:16 PM
  • I can somewhat concur, but really, if I am needing help on a stored procedure that is 25/30/50 lines long, who is going to take the time to type that into the code editor? And when cutting and pasting, there really shouldn't be any problems. The old version handled that pretty well...and you could even format your post without having to be an HTML developer...

...it just seems to me they spent so much time and energy to make things "pretty", they dropped the ball on a lot of things that used to be just fine and now barely work or don't work as advertised. For example, it took them forever to solve the issue with threads actually appearing in "My Threads".

A. M. Robinson
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 8:36 PM
  • There is a very simple solution to the cut-and-paste problem with code snippets - copy to Word or Notepad first and then to the forum.

I also miss the posibility to change color and to write code in courier and I agree with you - how difficult can it be for Microsoft to interpret HTML codes from their own programs? I can understand if it was Firefox, which coursed problems, but that IE courses problems in a Microsoft forum is a joke.
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that humans understand.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 6:58 AM
  •  I can understand if it was Firefox, which coursed problems, but that IE courses problems in a Microsoft forum is a joke.

A dark, off-color joke ):

I've been putting up with these issues/shortcomings and silently grumbling.  Glad to see some others share the frustration (co-misery loves company).

@Hans:   thanks for the detailed explanation.  It helps.. a little.
    Friday, May 29, 2009 8:20 PM